Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor
Seeing a SMV sign at night is most likely a driveway around here.

:(

Bruce

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor
Cause your thinking is people will think the tow vehicle is a slow moving vehicle?
Most people probably don't know what it is.

I was just thinking about it when following a trailered tractor.

Bruce

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #13  
I had hauled my tractor at anything up to interstate speeds (70 mph) countless times and never even considered taking it off. Then one day for whatever reason it went flying off about 2 miles from home going about 45- 50 mph. Not sure what caused it, maybe some crosswinds sweeping across the fields or it had been slightly pulled out of the slot or something, but it destroyed the plastic sign. I picked up the bracket and replaced the sign. Haven't taken it off since and haven't had any further issues trailering. I had actually forgot all about that incident until seeing this thread. That would be the only legitimate reason to take it off for trailering. There are no requirements to have it on during trailering either.

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #15  
Is it against the law to have a SMV sign on equipment going faster that 25 MPH?

If yes that poses a real problem since some newer farm tractors can go over 25 MPH but same implement might be pulled with tractors that only do 20 MPH.
I think some states have increased that speed to 30 mph. Also, some state statutes say "equipment normally operated at speeds less than 25 mph".

"When bearing the SMV emblem, vehicles are prohibited from traveling more than 25-miles-per hour, even if they are capable of reaching higher speeds. This rule helps motorists to avoid confusion of having a fast-moving vehicle labeled as a slow mover."

SMV signs save lives, use them properly

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #16  
I had hauled my tractor at anything up to interstate speeds (70 mph) countless times and never even considered taking it off. Then one day for whatever reason it went flying off about 2 miles from home going about 45- 50 mph. Not sure what caused it, maybe some crosswinds sweeping across the fields or it had been slightly pulled out of the slot or something, but it destroyed the plastic sign. I picked up the bracket and replaced the sign. Haven't taken it off since and haven't had any further issues trailering. I had actually forgot all about that incident until seeing this thread. That would be the only legitimate reason to take it off for trailering. There are no requirements to have it on during trailering either.
In PA....slower than 25 mph:

(b) Limitations on use or display.--No person shall use or display the slow moving vehicle emblem except as provided in this section nor shall any person display the emblem on a vehicle traveling at a speed in excess of 25 miles per hour.

Section 4529 - Slow moving vehicle emblem, 75 Pa. C.S. § 4529 | Casetext Search + Citator.

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #17  
In PA....slower than 25 mph:

(b) Limitations on use or display.--No person shall use or display the slow moving vehicle emblem except as provided in this section nor shall any person display the emblem on a vehicle traveling at a speed in excess of 25 miles per hour.

Section 4529 - Slow moving vehicle emblem, 75 Pa. C.S. § 4529 | Casetext Search + Citator.
Illinois most definitely issues fines for not covering or removing a SMV sign from view when speeds exceed 25 MPH. We also have a rule against using them for any other purpose such as Drive Way Markers. $25 fine per sign if they ever inforced it. It gets frustrating the costs involved in maintaining 30 or more SMV emblems for all impliments and tractors and drive by some ones house with a half dozen marking their drive way.

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #18  
Texas law requires a SMV sign for vehicles, which includes tractors, operating at less than 25 mph on public roads. If you tow an implement and it covers up the towing vehicle's SMV, you have to have one on the towed implement. Since a tractor being towed on a trailer is not operating on the public highway, it would not be required to have an SMV sign. The statutes do not address when you cannot have a SMV sign on a vehicle. I would be more concerned with the hay baler with a SMV sign being towed down the highway at 70 mph by a pickup but again it is not addressed by statute. I often see pickups pulling a tractor on a trailer with the baler attached to the tractor being towed behind the trailer.

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #19  
Never even heard of this sign. Wonder if Tennessee even has them or if they arnt enforced around here

Are you talking about the orange/red triangle thing?

/ Removing Slow Moving Vehicle sign when trailering your tractor #20  
Never even heard of this sign. Wonder if Tennessee even has them or if they arnt enforced around here

Are you talking about the orange/red triangle thing?
Yes, the orange/red triangle is Slow Moving Vehicle sign being discussed