Removing well seal?

/ Removing well seal? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I've got a submersible well in a 4" metal casing. I've been told that if you take the cap off the well that about 6 feet down there is a seal. I assume its to keep stuff from contaminating the aquifer.

I need to pour some chlorine down there to kill iron bacteria. I assume I need to remove the seal, first? If so, and if you're done it before I'd appreciate hearing how you do it.

Thanks!

/ Removing well seal? #2  
Never heard of such a thing. But what do i know. You have a seal on your pitless, or at least the wells we've had do. But that does not bother in accessing down the well. Any time I've had to add bleach, just take the cap off and pour.

/ Removing well seal? #3  
Hi Guys,

I've got a submersible well in a 4" metal casing. I've been told that if you take the cap off the well that about 6 feet down there is a seal. I assume its to keep stuff from contaminating the aquifer.

I need to pour some chlorine down there to kill iron bacteria. I assume I need to remove the seal, first? If so, and if you're done it before I'd appreciate hearing how you do it.

Thanks!
I have had several drilled wells in steel and plastic cases and there was never a seal of any type, just the cap. I am thinking it may be the pitless adapter which just connects the water line coming in to the one going down an enables you to pull the pump out

EDIT

Flyingcow can type faster than me.

/ Removing well seal? #4  
If i type faster than anyone, I'd be amazed. i started just after he made his first post. I can backspace with the best of the best.

/ Removing well seal? #5  
PitlessAdapter-03.gif

pittless adaptor

well-part-metal-well-seal.jpg

well seal

246835_300.jpg

deep well packer and seal

well-cap.jpg

well cap

which one do you have?

/ Removing well seal?
I ended up calling a well maintenance place and he explained to me what I should look for after I pull the cap. He thought I have the style where I can pour the chlorine right down the pipe. I won't know until I pop the cap.

Thanks for the info.