Repair or crate motor??

/ Repair or crate motor?? #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
99 F250SD V10- Had cooling system problems back in November, Bars helped for a while. But now overheating, air locks, ect. In the shop to test for leaking head gasket. Have replaced all the replaceable cooling system parts, so it is looking like an internal leak somewhere. Question- with 225000 on the motor, should I consider repair, which will mean pulling the motor, replacing at least the head gaskets, timing chains, ect, or should I look at a crate motor. Repairs will be about $3K, Crate motor about $3k plus labor. I have the truck set up for me, dump bed, air bags with onboard compressor, body in very good+ shape so I really don't want to trade. Motor has had synthetic oil, changed every 5-9000, only issue has been 2 blown plugs. SO, repair, or swap in a crate? And what else am I missing?

/ Repair or crate motor?? #2  
I would go with a Jasper style crate motor,or more along the low mileage wrecked truck with a v10 in it. Getting a motor out of a yard would cost me far less then a crate engine. It all comes down to labor then. With fixing your existing motor your starting out with a cam,crank,starter,alt. etc. that have a 1/4 million miles of work behind them. Sounds like you have built the truck the way you want,so give it what it needs.

/ Repair or crate motor?? #4  
I would not give up on your motor yet. Have another shop look at it. Could be something simple.

If it's shot by all means get a crate motor. As you see the price is about the same.

Chris

/ Repair or crate motor?? #5  
If you have the symptoms of a blown head gasket, I would use Bar's leak head gasket repair before doing anything drastic. I've had great results with it, just be sure to flush your cooling system out good with water a few times, and follow the directions. I had a head gasket blow at 250k miles (coolant in cylinder causing and misfire and overheating) , replaced thermostat, flushed, and did the bar's leak, reflushed. I now have 300K miles on it and still running like a champ.
Bar's Leaks US site Head Gasket Repair - Bar's Leaks US site

/ Repair or crate motor?? #6  
In same position right now with 2010 F150 5.4 supercrew . New re-man engine is same price as repair or used 50k motor from a wrecker !

/ Repair or crate motor?? #7  
Crate motor only. Buy mail order from a reputable dealer that gives you a great price. Verify warranty terms that may be different if you install yourself as opposed to dealer install.

/ Repair or crate motor?? #8  
I have experience with this, I would have my engine repaired (if possible) by the best shop I could find locally. If not repairable go remain installed by the "most" honest reputable dealer you can find! Because if you have a warranty issue with new engine the installing dealer with take of you, if installed by your self or some shade tree or small mom pop shop you may get stuck with another problem! I learn this lesson the hard way!

/ Repair or crate motor?? #9  
With the miles that you have, I'd go with a crate motor. Fix what you have and it's guaranteed to cause down the road problems. Just my opinion and I've been there, just not with a Ford.

/ Repair or crate motor?? #10  
If your motor can't be repaired then crate motor. It should come with a warranty, usually 3 year.