Repairing cast suspension knuckle.

/ Repairing cast suspension knuckle. #1  

tcartwri

Elite Member
Tractor
CT235
Broke a rear suspension knuckle from my Explorer pressing out a bearing.... :thumbsup: One of the ears that the the lower control arm bolts through has a crack in it. No idea if this is cast iron or an alloy. Should I even think about getting it welded?

It's a holiday of course, so I couldn't price out a replacement. I think the dealer will be looking for $300 or so.

/ Repairing cast suspension knuckle. #3  
If it was me, I'd worry about the weld quality and I'd try a "you pull it" type salvage yard. A good used one would surely would be less than $30-40 at a place like that.

/ Repairing cast suspension knuckle.
You-pull-its and salvage yards are almost a thing of the past around here.

/ Repairing cast suspension knuckle. #5  
Yep, the local one I go to won't let you into the yard without an employee with you. Insurance requirement.

Ian

/ Repairing cast suspension knuckle. #6  
No welding there. Bad idea (very). Search junkyards for parts. A quick internet search should help you find some in your area. They are not gone, just a lot fewer will let you pull parts anymore. There still is at least one in the Mpls/St Paul area that does that.

If you can wait, there are some online sources that are new OEM dealers that sell online at great prices. www.partsguyed.com is a great one, but it comes from the west coast so shipping can be pokey.

/ Repairing cast suspension knuckle. #7  
Ebay has some for $105 to $160. Be sure to get the correct side..