Replace Honda ATV with UTV or ??

/ Replace Honda ATV with UTV or ?? #21  
I have a Yamaha Rhino (UTV), Can-am Outlander 800 (ATV)and a Honda Recon (ATV).

It depends on your use. When I drag my gravel drive I like using my Can-am ATV since I can see much better behind it. It is far easier to see stuff behind an ATV. If pulling my brush mower offset to mow a hill I like the Rhino since it protects me more from thrown items. The added weight also acts as a better anchor so I do not slide down the hill.

If buying a UTV the Polaris Ranger is better for work than a Rhino due to the Ranger having a rear end that can be unlocked (open-diff). The open rear end diff unlocking really saves wear and tear on grass. My Rhino will make a mess of a yard if wet and trying to turn. Power is not really an issue with any of them -- the reverse issue noted on the Rhino was due to a rev limiter that could easily be over-ridden with a CDI replacement.

As for your wife riding with you -- no doubt the Ranger will be far better.

To be honest if I had to have just one and I did lots of hay carrying or hauling it would be a Ranger...

/ Replace Honda ATV with UTV or ?? #22  
when i worked at the park we had a mule or gator and an atv the atv sat ready to go for a narow spot we could not get the utvs.

the bed is 10x better than any rack

you just throw and go

also if you are smart you can get any were there is room, also power stering is awsome turning around usally req many small turns

/ Replace Honda ATV with UTV or ?? #23  
I had an ATV and replaced it with a Polaris Ranger 500EFI. I got the Freedom cab and a 6' snow plow with the Ranger and I love it. It's been a real workhorse and with the bed I can throw the chain saw, gas and other tools right in the back and go just about anywhere. Don't get me wrong, the ATV was great and I used it to plow snow too, but anything over 6-8" was hard on the ATV, and the operator. I will say that the ATV was better for "fun" in the woods, but I would never go back now that I have my Ranger. My suggestion...get the Ranger, and keep the ATV.
Happy A/UTV'ing.
Don.

/ Replace Honda ATV with UTV or ?? #24  
i can see the uses for a utz, we only have 3 atv's plus the massey. if you can swing it having the utv for what you're describing sounds useful. we're on pretty wide open 85ac and anyplace we could take the utv the pick-up also fits. have gone riding with peole using utv's and they don't look as much fun, of course leading them into a narrow spot between trees is worth a laugh.

/ Replace Honda ATV with UTV or ?? #25  
I also have the exact same Honda Foreman 400 1997 model. The thing has never had anything wrong with it except the speedo quit working several years ago.

Four years ago I bought new the Kubota RTV 900. It's a tank... very durable in about any conditions I've encountered. I use it for most ranch chores including going to pickup my mail at the Post Office during mud season.

Still have the Foreman and just ordered new tires for it. There aren't many ATV tires in 24-xx-11 available any more, but I got the ITP MudLite ATs. However, the newer ATVs sure look nice.

/ Replace Honda ATV with UTV or ?? #26  
Here is a picture of why I like my UTV. It is just plain handy for the acreage. Eg. Ladder and saw in the back, brush in the trailer. Son in the middle and wife on the passenger side.
Acreage%20Pics
[/URL][/IMG]

/ Replace Honda ATV with UTV or ?? #27  
Power is not really an issue with any of them -- the reverse issue noted on the Rhino was due to a rev limiter that could easily be over-ridden with a CDI replacement.

The Rhino has a low range and a high range- in forward only. The reverse gear is actually geared higher than high range. The torque is just not there in reverse, at least on the earlier models. I read where later years had a lower geared reverse.
While it is true removing the rev limiter function may send more power to the drivetrain in reverse, clutch wear and belt slippage take a toll, the real problem was reverse gear was just too darn high. IMO reverse should always be a lower ratio than the lowest forward gear, on just about any vehicle. Really sucks to pull forward in to something you can't back out of because of a design goof.

/ Replace Honda ATV with UTV or ??
Thanks for all the comments and feedback. I am convinced I would love a UTV. Now I have to start working on the wife........

/ Replace Honda ATV with UTV or ?? #29  
I ended up with a Honda Big Red. I have an 86' honda 3 wheeler that was just too small for bringing firewood down off the hill. While looking at a replacement for it I happened into a Honda dealer that had some left over 2008 ATVs. After talking with the guy and looking at the demo BR he had I offered him what I thought was way too low, less than a 2008 Rubicon. He said he had to talk to the boss and came back and didn't even counter. I told him I needed to look it over and take it for a test drive.

The Honda is wide but it has a real three speed transmission. Over all I like it. I can put a full size spade shovel in the bed. I never was a fan of belts, they work fine in snow machines as long as you go fast enough for them not to be slipping but I wasn't sure how well it would work for going slowly around trees. The only real problem I have is the roll cage hits branches and even trees on uneven ground.

/ Replace Honda ATV with UTV or ?? #30  
Get the UTV that meets your needs, AND, keep the Foreman. You won't get much for it, and you'll never regret having both machines. The right tool for the job.....
jim