Replacing Glass in Cab- How to remove

/ Replacing Glass in Cab- How to remove #1  

AndyMA

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 2120 , Kubota MX5200 , Deere X748SE. 1956 Economy Tractor
I need to replace a piece of glass on my New Holland TN Cab. The glass which is fully shattered is not in a grove or anything, it is just glued in. Anybody have any brilliant ideas how to get the shattered glass "unglued" from the frame. I'll say one thing about the glue, it sure is strong. The repair manual talks about using some kind of a wire, but I don't understand what it takes and how to do that. I've tried cutting it out wiht a sharp utility kknofe, but at the rate the pieces come out, I should be done by spring. Would a hot knife help? Any other ideas.
Thanks

Andy

/ Replacing Glass in Cab- How to remove #2  
I suspect the wire trick is what i see auto glass guys use. They work a thin piece of wire behind the glass and cut, or saw the urethane holding the glass in. It definitely IS some tough stuff. Any chance you have a glass shop nearby? Many have mobile trucks / vans that could come remove the broken glass for you.... probably affordably. At least that would get you up and running again.

/ Replacing Glass in Cab- How to remove #3  
When I replaced a shattered piece of glass in my cab I had a devil of a time getting the tempered glass "mini-icecubes" out of the rubber gasket. Then I found out I had to replace the gasket and all the work was wasted.

Removing the rubber gasket was easy and did NOT require removing the shattered fragments.

Pat

/ Replacing Glass in Cab- How to remove #4  
Guitar wire (or piano wire) works well - thin, very high tensile. Make a start somewhere by pushing a thick wire through, then thread the thin wire through the hole. Wrap each end around a piece of dowel (basically, make a comfortable handle on each end) the "saw" the wire back and forth while pulling the wire through the adhesive. Clean up the excess sealant after the glass is out, so you can "glue" in the replacement glass. The glue - hmm, not sure if it is silicone or mastic, but an auto glass repair place can sell you the appropriate stuff, and you can get an idea of how much of it, how thick, etc. by checking out the old stuff you remove.

/ Replacing Glass in Cab- How to remove #5  
AndyMA said:
I need to replace a piece of glass on my New Holland TN Cab. The glass which is fully shattered is not in a grove or anything, it is just glued in. Anybody have any brilliant ideas how to get the shattered glass "unglued" from the frame. I'll say one thing about the glue, it sure is strong. The repair manual talks about using some kind of a wire, but I don't understand what it takes and how to do that. I've tried cutting it out wiht a sharp utility kknofe, but at the rate the pieces come out, I should be done by spring. Would a hot knife help? Any other ideas.
Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, A cheap wire glass removing tool is sold at NAPA. It's a pain in the arse to use though.
You have a picture of the seam?
A good suggestion to have a mobile glass installer come out, usually fast and affordable.
I know they use heated tool for sealant installation, so I'd guess a heat gun w'be ok.

Good luck from eastern ct..

/ Replacing Glass in Cab- How to remove #6  
Although you can use urethane to glue in glass, typically what's used is butyl; a non-hardening rubber. It can be had in either strips or or in a tube. Yes, cutting/cleaning butyl isn't fun, or easy. The "wire trick" described above does work, the tool described above (looks like a hook on a bar with a pivoting handle attached to near center) also works but is a little harder to use. A real glass shop may also have a tool that looks like a 4" grinder but with a vibrating blade on the end instead of a rotating disc. This is the "easiest" tool to use, but none are easy or especially neat. When you've removed most of the butyl & all the glass, you'll still need to clean the surface. Diesel, K-1, & mineral spirits will work.

I'd use 1 or 2 tubes of black butyl (available in any of the big box stores & most hardware stores) to lay down a bead, around 1/4" wide by 1/4" tall, to set the glass in. After cleaning, & before gluing, test fit the glass!!!!!! When you are cleaning, look for "setting blocks" at the bottom edge. Should be small hard rubber blocks that hold the glazing up in the channel. Clean & reuse these blocks! After setting the glass in the butyl bed, tape it in place!!!! Let it cure for at least 24 hours.

I'd advise against using silicone to set glass as the silicone found at retail stores is very poor quality compared to what's used in the glass industry (retail silicone costs $5-$15 tube, industry silicone costs $40-$60+ tube & you'd be amazed how much better the "good" stuff is compared to what 99% of the public uses). Tip: "GOOD" silicone DOES NOT smell like vinegar! "Good" silicone dries soft & looks "dull" compared to cheap silicone.

Yes, I worked in commercial windows & doors for a few years.

/ Replacing Glass in Cab- How to remove
patrick_g said:
When I replaced a shattered piece of glass in my cab I had a devil of a time getting the tempered glass "mini-icecubes" out of the rubber gasket. Then I found out I had to replace the gasket and all the work was wasted.

Removing the rubber gasket was easy and did NOT require removing the shattered fragments.

Pat

Thanls for all your tips Guys. I need to look next time I go to the farm. I think the gasket came as part of the new glass. Fortunately the glass in question is a small piece located in front of the clutch pedal Unfortunately it is a bear to get too because of the loader and the loader frame if I remove the loader. I'll post some pictures. BTW, The new glass with shipping was "only" about $125, so I guess I'm feeling lucky.

Andy

/ Replacing Glass in Cab- How to remove #8  
Good topic. I was cultivating July 4 & launched a melon sized rock into my rear window shattering it. The window is hinged on top, wiper/washer & motor, plus a handle on the bottom, presses against the rubber seal

Took way longer to vacuum out the cab & back of tractor than the install. Cost was $178 plus $40 ups to the barn. I'm still finding pieces in the barn floor, yard & field.

/ Replacing Glass in Cab- How to remove #9  
AndyMA said:
Thanls for all your tips Guys. I need to look next time I go to the farm. I think the gasket came as part of the new glass. Fortunately the glass in question is a small piece located in front of the clutch pedal Unfortunately it is a bear to get too because of the loader and the loader frame if I remove the loader. I'll post some pictures. BTW, The new glass with shipping was "only" about $125, so I guess I'm feeling lucky.

Andy

Andy, do yourself a favor and have a professional auto glass guy install your window for you. If you are not familiar with the installation of automotive type glass and you consider your time worth anything, you will be money ahead to pay to have it installed.

I've been in the glass business 33 years, 32 of those for myself, trust me, pay to have it installed. Unfortunately you might have been better off to have bought the window through a glass shop and have had them install it, then if it got broken it would be on them to replace it. Now if it gets broken it's your deal. Check it out first, but I think you will be better off to have a professional install it.

Just my opinion and that isn't worth all that much.;)