Replacing the Knee

/ Replacing the Knee #31  
The ortho doctor told me what I already know and that is that my arthritis is severe. My knee cap or what is left to it is out of place. He said that I could do some therapy or go with replacement. Along with the rooster comb shots, I have done therapy on it. When I opted for surgery, he agreed that it would be the best albeit not easiest choice. I figure I will have to do therapy either way.

So, now I wait until Medicare approves the procedure and I go for an MRI. It will be the robotic surgery procedure and should happen in about six weeks.

/ Replacing the Knee
FWIW, I found sleeping with a pillow under / between my knees helps a lot for nighttime pain.
I have tried that. zero results. I called the doc today and ask about more shots. They said they want an MRI to see what their dealing with before giving more shots.

/ Replacing the Knee
So, now I wait until Medicare approves the procedure and I go for an MRI. It will be the robotic surgery procedure and should happen in about six weeks.
If your pain is as bad, or worse than mine, I sure hope they approve you. I should have my MRI in a few days.
I'm sure physical therapy will be a killer, but hopefully when it's over, it's over for good

/ Replacing the Knee #34  
Dad has needed his done for many years. He's 90 now. He delayed and put it off, so he is no longer able to get it done. Since his mid-50s he figured he only had 5 years left. Mom is too stubborn to let him off that easy. :)

Don't do what he did. Listen to experts. Get multiple opinions.

/ Replacing the Knee #35  
I appreciate the advice. So far, the injection I had Monday is doing great !

If I end up with replacement, I'll most likely have to get someone to stay with me to help with the farm (feed cows, chickens, etc,) , as I'm single.
For now, we'll see how long this steroid shot last, as I really don't want a new knee. I'd rather keep my original equipment, if ya know what I mean LOL

I can some what remember my grandmother having hers replaces back in the 70's she lived to be 80 and never had a stroke.
I would hope the procedure is much easier now days than back then.
I started having knee issues a few years ago (age 55) and after losing 10 lbs it made a world of difference. Need to lose more but carrying extra weight surely doesn't help.

/ Replacing the Knee #36  
If your pain is as bad, or worse than mine, I sure hope they approve you. I should have my MRI in a few days.
I'm sure physical therapy will be a killer, but hopefully when it's over, it's over for good
I have been through therapy when I had my rotator repaired eleven years ago. Worse part for me will be not being able to tend the four horses that my wife and I still have. Worse, having my wife do the driving!

/ Replacing the Knee
I have been through therapy when I had my rotator repaired eleven years ago. Worse part for me will be not being able to tend the four horses that my wife and I still have. Worse, having my wife do the driving!
yeah, I have cattle to tend, and I' alone here.
I have a friend that can drive me to any therapy .
Will have to have him put out hay, and make sure the water is good if turns cold before I can get around.
Of course this is based on if I have a replacement. I'm hoping for other options for sure

/ Replacing the Knee
I started having knee issues a few years ago (age 55) and after losing 10 lbs it made a world of difference. Need to lose more but carrying extra weight surely doesn't help.
I'm not what I would call over weight. At least not bad. I'm 6'2 @235 #,and stay pretty active here at the farm.

I think all my issues arise from what I did for a living for about 40 years.
I had employees, but I still enjoyed the work too !

/ Replacing the Knee #39  
yeah, I have cattle to tend, and I' alone here.
I have a friend that can drive me to any therapy .
Will have to have him put out hay, and make sure the water is good if turns cold before I can get around.
Of course this is based on if I have a replacement. I'm hoping for other options for sure
If you do get the replacement, along with having help with the farm chores and a chauffer, you are going to need someone to care for you personally for a while. The recovery will be a challenge for the first week or more and I would be surprised if any Dr. would let you go home unsupervised.

A little bit of time in a convalescent home would be a big help in your recovery.

/ Replacing the Knee #40  
I'm not what I would call over weight. At least not bad. I'm 6'2 @235 #,and stay pretty active here at the farm.

I think all my issues arise from what I did for a living for about 40 years.
I had employees, but I still enjoyed the work too !
Before you go under the knife try it. Watch your calorie intake while keeping a mild exercise regimen (walking, biking).
6'-2", 235 lbs is considered obese just as I am still considered obese at 6'-0" and 225 lbs. The older we get the harder it is to carry the extra weight.
Both you and I should realistically be under 200 lbs.
Have a buddy (58 yo) that went from 300 to 170 lbs on exercise and eating proper recently. Bikes 30-40 miles/day.