Replacing wheel on gator after flat

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat #1  

SamIamfromNC

Tractor
John Deere Gator utility Vehicle HPX 4x4 & Trail HS 4x4
I have a question about putting a repaired tire back on a gator. At 81 and a female, I find it hard to hold up the tire with my feet while locating the first hole in which to put the first lug bolt. It means sitting on the ground and using a flashlight until you line it all up. Getting up is a ***** once I have suceeded. If the gator is on a slightly slanted area, it is extremely hard to keep the tire flush and line up the holes which was the case today. Doing it on a flat space is best but we don't always chose where we have a flat. Is it possible to get a headless bolt the same size, to screw in the top hole to hang the wheel on, rotate the wheel and get it flush without having to hold it up, in order to start the other lug bolts? Then remove that headless one and replace with regular bolt. On cars the lug bolts stick outward and the tire does not have to be supported once the wheel is on the bolts. Would I have to cut the head off a correct size lug screw or do they sell something like that. I would not want to put anything else in the hole for fear of messing up the threads when the tire is hung on the headless bolt.

Sammie

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat #2  
Just cutting the head off a bolt would be the simplest

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat #3  
I would do what joecdeere suggest. Take one of the lug bolts to a hardware store and match a bolt to the threads, take it home and cut the bolt head off.

Mike

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat #4  
I have a question about putting a repaired tire back on a gator. At 81 and a female, I find it hard to hold up the tire with my feet while locating the first hole in which to put the first lug bolt. It means sitting on the ground and using a flashlight until you line it all up. Getting up is a ***** once I have suceeded. If the gator is on a slightly slanted area, it is extremely hard to keep the tire flush and line up the holes which was the case today. Doing it on a flat space is best but we don't always chose where we have a flat. Is it possible to get a headless bolt the same size, to screw in the top hole to hang the wheel on, rotate the wheel and get it flush without having to hold it up, in order to start the other lug bolts? Then remove that headless one and replace with regular bolt. On cars the lug bolts stick outward and the tire does not have to be supported once the wheel is on the bolts. Would I have to cut the head off a correct size lug screw or do they sell something like that. I would not want to put anything else in the hole for fear of messing up the threads when the tire is hung on the headless bolt.

Sammie

Sammie, you've explained the problem well. Wheels didn't use to be hard to mount There was always something - some protruding lugs or an axle in the middle that you could slide the tire onto, take a break, and then line it up to fasten it in place.

But today about half the cars, trucks, tractors, and whatever have nothing to hold the wheel in place. Your idea is a good one, and I think all of us end up with a headless bolt - or two or three - in the tire kit for exactly that purpose. If you can thread it in a few turns you won't mess up the threads. Tire mounting lug bolts have standard threads - but that doesn't mean that every make of car - or even different years of gators all use the same one.
In general, threads are different enough that you can't mess one up unless you really force it.

Anyone know if dealers sell such a headless bolt?
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Replacing wheel on gator after flat #5  

Sammie

If you don’t have to raise it too high you can buy one of these inflatable shims they sell now to raise the tire.

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat #6  
Sammie McMaster Carr or Home Depot
Take one of the lugs so you can match
the size and threads
Don't know if this will help but a board &
a block of wood roll tire on the board &
using your knee you can raise or lower
the tire to insert the lugs
I'm 82 and I use what ever is handy

willy

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat
I, too, use what is handy to accomplish things that are difficult. I tried to hold up the front part of the tire with a 2 x 4 in order to get the front level with the back of the tire. Being on a slanted area made this so much more difficult than the flat area where I did the first flat tire a few months ago. I found that the board would not let me rotate the tire to match up the holes or let me get it flush with what the bolts were going to. I think I will go with the plan for getting a bolt the same diameter and thread size but longer. After cutting the head off, I think it would need a slot cut where the head was, so I could use a screw driver to insert and extract it. I found that it is supposed to be a JD20 bolt and they seem to cost from $2 to $5, depending on whether it is a real John Deere bolt. Then I have to keep it somewhere that I can remember for the next time I need it...:)

Thanks for all the help. I'm glad no one said it was a dumb idea.
Sammie

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat #8  
I have a pair of bolts I cut the heads off and tapered the ends, that I thread into the hub to facilitate installing wheels when I remove them for whatever reason. I keep them in the storage box behind the seat.

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat #9  
I made a bolt as you describe for the rear wheels on my JD 2030. It has 16-9-28 tires.
I got a bolt that fit and made sure it was not threaded all the way. I wanted a smooth surface to slide the wheel. I cut off the head and used a grinder to add a taper, then a hacksaw to make a slot for screwdriver.

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat #10  
Easiest way to put a wheel on any type of hub with lug bolts. Roll the tire onto a bar under the hub & use the bar as a lever to raise the tire/wheel into place. You can move the bar left/right to turn the wheel enough to line up the bolts.