repower

/ repower #41  
I took a look at the Honda engine web site. I think he must be referring to the 22.3 HP model. The model number is GX690.

If they provide detailed dimensional and option information on their web site like Kohler does, I couldn't find it.

It might be a possibility. More research will be required, especially for those of us with pumps on both ends.

Dunno, he called about a totally different issue, but I just happened to remember to ask him what the biggest Honda available was. He does a lot of repower kits for older equipment, and uses mostly Kohler Commands, but also some Briggs Vanguards, Hondas, etc.

/ repower
KenT, i know they make a 24 hp,i've never saw any larger.i do know the ones on the gensets are very hard on gas.
I have my robin just about ready to bolt in, should have had it done but i've been sick,seems to take longer to get over anything, plus a trip to the hospital.......jim

/ repower #43  
KenT, i know they make a 24 hp,i've never saw any larger.i do know the ones on the gensets are very hard on gas.
I have my robin just about ready to bolt in, should have had it done but i've been sick,seems to take longer to get over anything, plus a trip to the hospital.......jim

It is a shame that you could not use a Kohler CV-25. You can get those for about $650. I wonder , a CV-25 with a right angle gear box. Does the VSP pump have to be mounted horizontal?

/ repower #44  
I think it would be a whole lot easier to install a new Robin and be done with it.

Kohlers are not trouble free engines. If you go to somewhere like http://www.lawnsite.com, you will find that they have their issues like all brands. The CH25s have a history of bad valve lifters and dropped valve seats. Mine has dropped a valve seat twice, once under warranty, and once on my nickel.

If I ever have to repower my PT-425, I won't switch engine brands. It's just too much work for no gain. The electrical hook up would be the easy part. Fabricating and/or locating and purchasing the various mounts, rigging the exhaust, checking and verify clearances, routing or rerouting hoses if necessary, would all be a real PITA. And there is always the possibility of making a serious mistake along the way that won't reveal itself until much later.

Now if the replacement engine was a diesel, that would be another matter. Then it would be oh so worth it. :cool:

Forget the Robin engine. I have not b een on here for a long time because I have not had my PT425 for a long time. Seven months ago the engine froze up. I have waited seven months to get a replacemnt engine from Japan. They didn't stock the model used on the PT425 in the states. Besides that my ignition switch had to be replaced once and the generator once, all in less than 400 hours. I considered a Kohler or even a derated big bore Briggs but that would have required deepening the engine compartment by 5-6 inches. If I could weld I think that is what I would have done.

/ repower #45  
I have waited seven months to get a replacemnt engine from Japan. They didn't stock the model used on the PT425 in the states.

Sounds like you need to find a new service center; sounds like they are feeding you a line of nonsense to avoid making good on a warrenty claim.

Look at the preceding posts about Johara1 receiving his replacement 25 hp engine in less then 24 hours. Of course, that wasn't a warrenty replacement, so his distributor has more motivation to give him good service. I believe that there have been a number of threads on this board about distributorships (and company) not being very responsive about warrenty work.

well i changed my mind ... and went with a 25 hp robin that is a bolt in... Guys, the engine came from Oneill & asscccociates Inc...they are the distributors for robin,they don't fool around ... talk about service,the engine is here in less than 24 hrs......jim

Why would the Kohler have required engine compartment change? It has the same footprint as the Robin. Or are you talking about the vertical engine?

/ repower #46  
Here's a really good engine that be really cool to Repower a PT-425 with.

26 Horse Power and FUEL INJECTED!!!! :D (I'm a sucker for Fuel Injected Gasoline engines)

Attachments

• CH26S-78525.jpg
    CH26S-78525.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 114
   / repower #47  
Here's a really good engine that be really cool to Repower a PT-425 with.

26 Horse Power and FUEL INJECTED!!!! :D (I'm a sucker for Fuel Injected Gasoline engines)

We've talked about that one before. Configured properly, it should be a drop in replacement for the Kohler 25s in the older PT-425s. The main problem is the price. IIRC, it is significantly more expensive than the 25 horse model.