Request for beam calculation, please.

/ Request for beam calculation, please. #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
Gotta beam calculation I need some smart people to do for me, please.

Here are the basics:

- Assume qty two 1" x 1" x .120" tubing, positioned side by side, separated by 6"
- beams are 6' (72") long
- Two point loads, L1 and L2 are located 1' from each end (ie. 4' apart centered on the beam)
- The two point loads are the same ie. L1 = L2.
- The two tubes are connected using expanded metal on the bottom lengthwise; for the purposes of this calculation, the mechanics of materials of the EM is ignored other than the fact that it fixes the two tubes to each other and prevents the two tubes from twisting or separating from each other.
- This beam is used for overhead lifting i.e lifting a "vehicle" for work underneath it - hence use whatever safety factor is appropriate for this work and situation

What is the max load for for L1 and L2 for this beam assuming a) L/240, b) L/360 or c) L/480 max deflection. Recommend that max deflection you would use.

I'll hold off giving the purpose of this beam until later, if you don't mind, I want to focus on this calculation vs. the purpose.

Thanks,

/ Request for beam calculation, please. #2  
Good luck. Anytime I've asked a question like this, I always get 10 people saying "ask an engineer"

/ Request for beam calculation, please. #4  
Re-read your post... with less haste. I see what your doing here.

Last edited:
   / Request for beam calculation, please. #5  
ignoring the connecting material as he requested, assuming that the beam is simply supported at either end, and provided that the point loads are applied evenly and in a way that does not alter the cross-section of the steel member (no holes or deformations).

The loads corresponding to his max deflections are as follows:
L1=L2 for a) 132lbs, b) 88lbs, and c) 66 lbs

Obviously there are two point loads, so X2 for total load on the beam...

/ Request for beam calculation, please.
ignoring the connecting material as he requested, assuming that the beam is simply supported at either end, and provided that the point loads are applied evenly and in a way that does not alter the cross-section of the steel member (no holes or deformations).

The loads corresponding to his max deflections are as follows:
L1=L2 for a) 132lbs, b) 88lbs, and c) 66 lbs

Obviously there are two point loads, so X2 for total load on the beam...

If that's anywhere close to being accurate - this isn't gonna work. I need about 1000 lbs. per beam.

This is for two platforms that would attach to my shop lift to lift smaller "vehicles" like my Kubota ZD326 ZTR (1700 lbs) or my RTV (1975 lbs). I planned to do 2 of these, one for the front wheels, one for the back wheels.

Back to the drawing board....

/ Request for beam calculation, please. #7  
1" X 1" isn't very large, even though it's nearly 1/8" that's not much more than a 1-1/4" steel pipe.

I've actually been wondering something similar, I've a quantity of surplus 2" square 3/16" wall tube, wondering what a pair of those might support at the center-point spanning about 8' as in a poor man's gantry crane? or, would stacked and welded periodically along the length improve against parallel horizontally placed?

/ Request for beam calculation, please. #8  
What is the max load for for L1 and L2 for this beam assuming a) L/240, b) L/360 or c) L/480 max deflection. Recommend that max deflection you would use.

I'll hold off giving the purpose of this beam until later, if you don't mind, I want to focus on this calculation vs. the purpose.

How could anyone recommend a deflection if the use is secret?

/ Request for beam calculation, please. #9  
Why would you even consider a 1000 lb load on such a tiny member? 2x2x0.25 would be something to consider and it's still dirt cheap. 4x4x0.25 would be much better if you want a human under that load.

/ Request for beam calculation, please. #10  
Is something like this what your trying to accomplish ? IMG_0028.JPG