Resetting "Low Tire Pressure" Sensors on Ford

/ Resetting "Low Tire Pressure" Sensors on Ford #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
Resetting \"Low Tire Pressure\" Sensors on Ford

I just got four new tires for my wife's 2000 Continental. Even though the tires are properly inflated, after the car is driven 15 minutes she gets a "Low Tire Pressure" warning. If she pulls over and shuts the car off, the warning goes away and will re-appear in 15 minutes. This makes me think that the message is not really related to low pressure, but there is a system check occuring and it fails at 15 minutes.

My BIL works for GM, and he says that GM products have a system reset that has to be done when new tires are installed. For the GM products it is some kind of pedal contacts (such as pressing the gas pedal three times within five seconds with the engine not running and the key in "Run" position - done every time the oil is changed). You then drive and the system "relearns" what the proper pressure is. He also said some cars have a reset button for this system.

I've searched the entire owner's manual and can't find anything mentioning something similiar for the Continental. The manual just says "take to the nearest Lincoln Dealer for Authorized Service." Does anybody have a better suggestion?

/ Resetting "Low Tire Pressure" Sensors on Ford #2  
Re: Resetting \"Low Tire Pressure\" Sensors on Ford

Chris, there may (or may not) be a considerable difference in our 2001 Windstar and your Lincoln, but to quote from the "Maintenance and Care" Chapter in my manual:

"The low tire warning system should be reset whenever new tires are installed, rotated or tire pressures are changed.

To reset the system, turn the ignition to the ON position, press and hold the "TIRE RESET" switch for three seconds. The low tire warning indicator light will flash three times as the low tire warning system begins to initialize. The initial adjustment is completed after driving over 65 km/h (40 mph) for 15 to 20 minutes."

The switch is simply a button on the dash on the Windstar. I'd be inclined to think you have a button somewhere to push in to reset yours, but sure don't know that to be a fact. Does your manual have a "Maintenance and Care" chapter that includes a section on the tires? That's where our instructions are found.

/ Resetting "Low Tire Pressure" Sensors on Ford

Our cars must have different systems - I went through the whole manual page-by-page and there are no "reset instuctions." There is no reset button on the dash. If I don't get any more specific advice it looks like I'll have to go to the dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Resetting "Low Tire Pressure" Sensors on Ford #4  

The reset button on my Windstar is just left of the steering column, where you can't see it without looking around the steering wheel. But I figure those Lincolns cost so much that they figure the owners wouldn't want to reset it themselves, but would want the dealer to do it, so they probably hid the button. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But I figure those Lincolns cost so much that they figure the owners wouldn't want to reset it themselves, but would want the dealer to do it, so they probably hid the button. )</font>

That's what I was thinking /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif! My wife got the Continental, I got the NH TC40D /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. However, I also got a nice manual for my tractor, but there's nothing of substance for the Lincoln.

/ Resetting "Low Tire Pressure" Sensors on Ford #6  

Your car has either an indirect or direct method for monitoring tire pressure. Indirect method uses abs wheel speed sensors. Basically it look for speed difference between wheels, it a little more involved than that but basically that how it works. The direct method uses sensors mounted in the rims that transmit frequency to a module. If pressures are different or under a preset limit the light will set.

The feds are trying to make low pressure warning standard equipment on cars, kind of like air bags. Ever since the Firestone troubles its been more pressing.

I'm not at work right now but tomorrow I can look it up on my info system and let you know. It would let me know if it can be reset simply or needs a factory grade scan tool (which I doubt).

I have a funny feeling it has sensors in the wheel and one got broken during the tire switch.

/ Resetting "Low Tire Pressure" Sensors on Ford #7  

Ford used 2 types of sensors. One is clamped to the inside of rim with what looks like hose clamps. The other is part of the valve stem. I believe you have the valve stem type. They are easily damaged when removing and installing tires.
Derek is probably right, one or more of the sensors are bad.

/ Resetting "Low Tire Pressure" Sensors on Ford #8  

There is also a possibility that the sensors became magnetized. Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealers have a tool that looks like a circular wand that they place over the sensors at the valve stem to demagnatize the sensors. But knowing tire shops they most probably damaged broke one of the valve stem/sensors.

/ Resetting "Low Tire Pressure" Sensors on Ford #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Indirect method uses abs wheel speed sensors. )</font>

IF I understand my owner's manual (not bettin' on anything), that's what our 2001 Windstar has. At least it mentions something about a relationship with the ABS. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I feel like I'm being scammed. I took it back to Discount Tire and they said "we must have damaged one of the sensors, let us order them and I'll call you back". Of course they never called, so I called them today and they said "the tires you bought are "too good" for that car and cause too much rolling resistance and make the light come on". They offered to take the tires back and put Michelins on, since Michelins "don't grip as well and don't cause as much rolling resistance". What is the real story on this?