Restoring 1949 Farmall Cub- need advice!

/ Restoring 1949 Farmall Cub- need advice! #1  

KenPauling

Silver Member
Tractor
Now Holland TN 65D with Cab
I am restoring and fixing up my 1949 Farmall Cub. I would like to do a decent job on this tractor but don't want to make it into a year long job. What is the best way to take off some of the two or three layers of old paint and surface rust? I don't want to sand blast- what would you do? How about any extra sheet metal or Cub parts you might have unwanted or not used out in your barn? Post or PM me! I really need some ideas and spare parts. Thanks! Ken

/ Restoring 1949 Farmall Cub- need advice! #3  
Mornin Ken,
Madref gave you very good advice on sending you to YT tractors. They have some very knowlegable people on that forum in regard to Farmall tractors and equipment. I have a 42 Farmall A and am restoring another 49 Farmall Super A. I have used a right angle grinder with a twisted wire loop wheel with excellent success in removing old paint. Prior to using the wire wheel you will want to pressure wash the tractor with a cleaner to remove the bulk of the old grease and oil ! Any small parts that you remove from the tractor can be sandblasted seperately. I bring my small parts to work and use our glass beader at work, for paint removal.

YT also will give you some excellent sites to get replacement parts from. Good Luck!

/ Restoring 1949 Farmall Cub- need advice! #4  
I use thos black HD 3m abrasive pads.. takes paint down to shiny metal.

I like the old cubs.. I think the rounded nose looke dnicer than the squared of nose of the early 60's.. etc

Post pics as yo go. i like the cubs.. I have a 66'

soundguy

KenPauling said:
I am restoring and fixing up my 1949 Farmall Cub. I would like to do a decent job on this tractor but don't want to make it into a year long job. What is the best way to take off some of the two or three layers of old paint and surface rust? I don't want to sand blast- what would you do? How about any extra sheet metal or Cub parts you might have unwanted or not used out in your barn? Post or PM me! I really need some ideas and spare parts. Thanks! Ken

/ Restoring 1949 Farmall Cub- need advice! #5  
KenPauling said:

I usually sandblast but have had luck with oven cleaner. Bought several spray cans of oven cleaner at the dollar store and coated the tractor and then pressure washed it off. It removes most of the paint and all of the old grease. Steps usually need to be repaeated a few times for thick paint.

/ Restoring 1949 Farmall Cub- need advice! #6  
Several years ago I restored a Farmall Cub and it also have a coulpe layers of paint. I stripped it down and had all of the pieces sand blasted. Then a buddy sprayed them with an epoxy primer for me.

Here is a picture of the finished Cub.

Attachments

• scan0023 (Small).jpg
    scan0023 (Small).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 5,526
   / Restoring 1949 Farmall Cub- need advice!
Thanks to everyone for the advice on restoring the Farmall Cub. I have been busy and have the tractor pretty well degreased and torn down. Wow, what a job! I have been stripping off the paint, sanding and fixing everything that needs fixed. I will need another week to finish just the prep work before I even think about painting it! The only thing that has me stumped is where to get a part. I need a connector for the choke on the carb. The little thing that connects the choke rod to the choke on the carb. (It kind of looks like a small battery terminal connector) If anyone knows the part# or where I can get this little clamp, I would be very greatful! My orignal connector has cracked. Thanks Again! Ken

/ Restoring 1949 Farmall Cub- need advice! #8  
Another site you might want to look at is Farmall Cub .com. They have
quite a info you might find helpful.

/ Restoring 1949 Farmall Cub- need advice! #9  
It's a little clevis... A carb shop should have your part. If not.. very easy to fab one up.

Soundguy