Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,331  
SS, by contrast, is not driving up competition for wages. Workers cannot just stop working at any point and make more money on SS. There would be slight upward inflationary pressure, but it is minimal by comparison.
Unless your spouse passed and you get his which is more than you were earning working...

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,332  
Love that book. Richard Adams... (y)
such a shame it isn't used in schools they way it could be.

someone gave it to me when i was very young and that part where the rabbits lived in a warren that was protected by the farmer got my attention.

once in a while the farmer makes a withdrawal, a rabbit goes missing and NO ONE speaks of that rabbit...... ever again.

made a huge impression on me. if you allow someone take care of you....they own you!

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,333  
Life does seem to have less stress and maybe expectations overall are lower...

In addition to no worries over medical or retirement don't forget abundant vacation time each year. I think the lowly apprentice gets 42 holidays the first year.

Pay is over 14 months... an extra month pay August for vacation and extra month December for Christmas...

Im sure things are changing but a lot of friends are nurses with a few doctors there.

They were amazed at procedures medicare covers at advanced age and even little things like handicapped parking at the time common here..

The regulation is heavy... don't think you can open a flower shop unless you completed study in such.

It was hard for me to adjust building a home there because labor would not be available so often due to holidays and suppliers closed... no evening run to home Depot or even the grocery store..
sounds like you "have been there" in terms of dealing with, or living with, the euro policies.

i laugh now but try to go into a ceos office in the usa, he's behind schedule, and tell him, you can't build the rest of your hospital because some of the material is coming from europe and......

everyone is gone for the next 6 weeks! EVERYONE

mr ceo says......i dont give a chit, and don't believe it... get my stuff here, you are holding up a 400 million dollar project.

sorry big shot, wait.

french minister of something or other begged his french countrymen to change their vacation policy, told them how much damage it did to the economy etc.

he was taking the entire month of july off, sounds like a politician.

k sara sara.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,335  
Unless your spouse passed and you get his which is more than you were earning working...
But one-off random situations do not make a huge impact on the economy. Driving up wages across the board also drives up prices. The inflation makes the dollar less valuable and the poor get poorer. That does not even take into account the marginal wage earners who lose their jobs or have hours cut back due to increased costs. But, by all means, boost the minimum wage so we can pat ourselves on the back and tell ourselves what great people we are because we 'care' about the poor.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,336  
such a shame it isn't used in schools they way it could be.

someone gave it to me when i was very young and that part where the rabbits lived in a warren that was protected by the farmer got my attention.

once in a while the farmer makes a withdrawal, a rabbit goes missing and NO ONE speaks of that rabbit...... ever again.

made a huge impression on me. if you allow someone take care of you....they own you!
Agreed. Read that book when I was in HS, 1975 I guess. I've read it many times over the years, it never gets old. I've always fancied myself as a Bigwig kinda guy...

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,337  
brought a tear

god i love that book

thx

was that art garfunkel?
Way back there was actually a movie made, maybe late 70's. BBC did a series in the last couple years that was very popular. The Brit's are way into Watership Down. Great video!

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,338  
A few impressions of the Reddit post from a grouchy old man:

Putting 35,000 lbs of boxes onto a conveyer doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. I've certainly done a lot harder jobs in my life.

I keep hearing that we have so many unfilled jobs because they are bad jobs and people deserve better jobs. It used to be that if you were unemployed, you took whatever job was available and kept looking for a better one. I guess it doesn't work that way anymore.
Yeah, but "back in the day" one was likely able to see a doctor (and pay for one).

When I was growing up, even when my folks were struggling (I spent one winter helping my dad sell kindling), I don't ever recall any issues of being able to see a doctor.

I regularly do a LOT of physical work (I REALLY need to back off- I'm finding that at my age it's no longer such a great thing), but I am doing it KNOWING that I generally don't have to do the same thing day in and day out (and, perhaps, have to do it in order to pay mortgage/rent AND raise kids), AND, I have medical insurance.

The world's resources are declining (low-hanging-fruit is getting higher) while the world's population is increasing.

I've argued against support for low housing rents and such, stating that local employers ought to be forced to pay supportive wages. If you look close enough far too many businesses have externalized their low wages.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,339  
A minimum wage indexed to inflation leads to hyperinflation.

You cannot artificially increase wages to magically change the basics laws of supply and demand.
NEWS FLASH: Inflation is essentially the cost of perpetual growth on a finite planet. Growth WILL lead us to and over the edge. No matter how efficient we are, how "hard working" we are, how "inventive" we are, as long as we push growth (which is what gets most of us "retirement" funds- pensions, "returns" etc.) we are pushing toward hyperinflation (the breaking point).

As "savvy" as so many "economists" might be, they're operating on top of a false premise (perpetual growth on a finite planet is possible).

So, there is NO "solution" as long as there's growth. One's position on how to shuffle the deck chairs mostly only identifies one's sense of empathy...

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,340  
Driving up wages across the board also drives up prices. The inflation makes the dollar less valuable and the poor get poorer. That does not even take into account the marginal wage earners who lose their jobs or have hours cut back due to increased costs.
Exactly. And don't forget that there is a "tipping point" when wages go up enough that businesses can afford to automate tasks or streamline products/processes so they do not need as many expensive workers.