Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #301  
My best investments the last 15 years, when I hit the workforce, has been real estate. Rentals.

The capital appreciation and ability to use refinancing to pay down the principle faster has really provided a real cash flow that is not tied to anything. Free cash flows.

Real estate has some great tax hedges and overall it's a hedge on the stock market assets.

My parents have around 20 rentals that allow them a great retirement now. I now pay my father and his company to remodel the houses I buy. He is a retired contractor, but he can't stop working. He has a few older guys that work a few days a week and they go in and fix stuff. It's a win for everyone. It keeps him out of my moms hair and her out of his.

Just curious. Has all the COVID stuff about not paying rent and not being able to evict impacted you? I really feel for landlords based on what I see around St. Louis.

MoKelly

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #302  
Please see my response to JethroB - The article also said 42% are working from home. While not stated, I'd think common sense would dictate they are also essential. Otherwise, why would they be working from home?
Perhaps you are using a different definition of essential. From a COVID standpoint, it means they are essential to society on a daily basis, such as police and ambulance services.

Based on that definition, there would be plenty of nonessential employees working from home. They are still essential to the business long-term goal of making money.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #303  
They sell them to a developer at a loss and write it off. Then the developer turns them into upscale work from home flats and there you go.

Well, some of the buildings can't be turned into flats, not only because of location but also because of the building's construction. If employees are leaving the cities, and there is plenty of evidence they are, and the old office building is in the city, who is going to buy the flat? Flip side, is that there might be some really good deals on some buildings. :laughing:

Are we at a nexus point where people are going to return to living in the country because of
  • The pandemic driving/allowing people to work from home,
  • StarLink, and eventually other ISPs, bringing faster internet rural areas,
  • High taxation and cost of living in cities,
  • Crime, riots, traffic, and other quality of life issues in cities?

I think there is a good chance of this happening and it seems to be happening already.

Later,
Dan

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #304  
I have not had any issues with someone using the rent cancelling provisions as an excuse to not pay rent.

I also only rent to older people and charge below market rates in return. I don't have turnover and they are really the best tenants. My parents discovered this years ago. You can't proclaim you do this, but it's in your best interest to wait for the right tenant to come along instead of filling the place with the first warm body.

My parents have had places sit idle for months before the right tenant comes along.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #305  
If you bought gold in 2011 hoping to be safe, and wanting to retire in 5 years, you'd have lost 45% of it's value. It's still not back to 2011 level today.

Right, because the economy was TRASHED in 2011. Where you think its headed in next couple years?

From Investopia:

“ If we look instead over the 15 years from 2005 to 2020, the price of gold has increased by 330%...... Over the same period, the DJIA increased by only 153%.1 “

It’s also the best investment over the last 50 years. Nobody invests for 100 years. 50 years is an excellent long term goal.

You or I can state segments of time where each others investment vehicle was better. So what? :laughing:
The point you are missing is that I have it as a PART of a portfolio of investments, just like many countries governments and huge investors in the world. I would never suggest anyone be 100% gold. It’s about 20% of my portfolio. I increase/decrease all investments as the economy changes.
But yeah, Dave Ramsey is be all end all. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #306  
The Grand Plan, which we have been talking about before we even had built the house but after buying the land, was to get a boat and travel the world. We have been actively looking, planning and training for this since 2014.

Have you settled on a particular boat? I always wanted an RV but that changed about 15 years ago when sailing replaced it. I’ve read countless blogs and several years back people started making vlogs (YouTube)

I do worry that world cruising won’t be normal for some time due to COVID. As an American hopefully at the very least the Bahamas will be welcoming. I could do that for a few years alone.

*edit.. If it were me in your position I’d consider selling now before the next correction and buy something small that you could rent after you shove off.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #307  
I have not had any issues with someone using the rent cancelling provisions as an excuse to not pay rent.

I also only rent to older people and charge below market rates in return. I don't have turnover and they are really the best tenants. My parents discovered this years ago. You can't proclaim you do this, but it's in your best interest to wait for the right tenant to come along instead of filling the place with the first warm body.

My parents have had places sit idle for months before the right tenant comes along.

In some parts of the country, you would be in court very quickly with this approach. There are organizations that actively survey rentals for inappropriate tenant mixes and create lawsuits. Each to his own, but having rental property doesn't sound like retirement to me. Too much worry and potential headaches.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #308  
Right, because the economy was TRASHED in 2011. Where you think its headed in next couple years?

From Investopia:

“ If we look instead over the 15 years from 2005 to 2020, the price of gold has increased by 330%...... Over the same period, the DJIA increased by only 153%.1 “:

The S&P 500 (including dividends) returned 326% from 2005-2020. I think the S&P 500 is a better yardstick as it’s more diversified and is what most market investors utilize.

MoKelly

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #309  
In some parts of the country, you would be in court very quickly with this approach. There are organizations that actively survey rentals for inappropriate tenant mixes and create lawsuits. Each to his own, but having rental property doesn't sound like retirement to me. Too much worry and potential headaches.

Yes... very easy to file discrimination complaint and have the full regulatory weight come down on you.

It's happened to me but investigation showed it was a mute point...

A single parent african american women filed a discrimination complaint it turned into a full investigation even with testers... or a tester.

Thing is the person I did rent to was also a single parent African American woman... the difference is the one that filed had pages of charge off on credit report and the one I rented to had none... not sure the outcome would have been the same had my tenant not been identical except for credit report...

Also, we can no longer check criminal records as it is discriminatory to those with criminal records...

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #310  

You're doing it wrong then. If you fix up a place and make it not a slum, you really don't have much left to do but upkeep. Then don't rent to idoits.

Wyoming really hates wokism and identity politics. Not a single judge here would play into the quota game.