Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #691  
Worked for a Walmart vendor in late 70's and early 80's when Mr Sam was still alive. He personally visited every store once a year and shook every associate's hand. Profit sharing for every employee was company stock distribution. Share price was posted daily in break room. Lots of truck drivers, cashier's and asst mgrs retired as near to or millionaires based on what Sam set up for them. His business plan was stores in midsize towns in rural areas where people had to drive 50 miles or more to shop. To this day I admire him as a business man and a person. Drive an old truck and wore Walmart uniform and baseball cap. He put customers and employees first. Money made was shared and used to grow and hire more people.
I gotta love that !

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #692  
It's interesting that so many people think I "have money," when I live a pretty modest middle class existence. Any wealth I have accumulated will not long survive me, and is earmarked for elder care as my wife and I age. I guess it shouldn't surprise me, because fewer and fewer people will have the opportunity to live the lifestyle I did. I stayed away from "get rich quick" schemes because I had a grandfather who was always looking for the next best thing, and died a pauper. I stuck to "plan your work and work your plan." I won't go into details, but it was not always easy. I about starved to death in 1982, when there was no such thing as a social safety net for young men. A 13 foot $500 travel trailer kept me from being homeless. It's why I have no truck with people who badmouth the poor.

I'm also a student of history. I'm familiar with the horrible abuses of aristocracy. I know about the private armies killing miners and their families. I see the same thing coming in the United States, fueled by vast accumulations of wealth beyond any possible use. We're turning into a third world country controlled by the wealthy, while the ranks of the poor grow and grow.

I count myself lucky that my retirement will probably survive long enough for me to die. Some of you will not be that fortunate.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #693  
:rolleyes:

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #694  
It's interesting that so many people think I "have money," when I live a pretty modest middle class existence. Any wealth I have accumulated will not long survive me, and is earmarked for elder care as my wife and I age. I guess it shouldn't surprise me, because fewer and fewer people will have the opportunity to live the lifestyle I did. I stayed away from "get rich quick" schemes because I had a grandfather who was always looking for the next best thing, and died a pauper. I stuck to "plan your work and work your plan." I won't go into details, but it was not always easy. I about starved to death in 1982, when there was no such thing as a social safety net for young men. A 13 foot $500 travel trailer kept me from being homeless. It's why I have no truck with people who badmouth the poor.

I'm also a student of history. I'm familiar with the horrible abuses of aristocracy. I know about the private armies killing miners and their families. I see the same thing coming in the United States, fueled by vast accumulations of wealth beyond any possible use. We're turning into a third world country controlled by the wealthy, while the ranks of the poor grow and grow.

I count myself lucky that my retirement will probably survive long enough for me to die. Some of you will not be that fortunate.
I think you are massively wealthy and you are gaming us into thinking you are not. No dice. :unsure:

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #695  
A poor person can dream of great happiness if they get wealthy while a rich person can't....and many are not happy.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #696  

Follow the money often explains the way of the world or so it seems to me.

Your success and path taken isn't unique. It shows what determination and a plan comes together.

My experiences might not be representative but many I know came to the SF Bay Area with dream starting with nothing as refugee or nearly so... what they lack in education they more than made up in determination...

I'm not ready to throw in towel on the next generation...

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #697  
It's interesting that so many people think I "have money," when I live a pretty modest middle class existence.<snip>

Yup.
So many sayings to reflect our lives.
"S^it happens" just don't be underneath.
-

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #698  
The reality is if you own a home you have money to many...

If you own a home and timber land, etc... well, you might as well be rich

My biggest expense in life are taxes of all shapes and sizes...

A rental property in WA takes 8 months rent to cover property tax and another for property management and another for insurance and it is vacant at the moment...

Expecting taxes to take a big leap next year...

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #699  
I didn't get my PERFECT job until I was 59. For 15 years I traveled my tail off working on large generator voltage regulators. Had extensive dealings with the guy I work for now and he reached out to me. I had 2 stipulations, cut down drastically on my travel and I work from home. Done and done. Since I was eligible I've been putting 23% in my 401K. I have 2 partial retirement checks that go in the bank and never are used. My wife still works and has a really good job that she could walk away from anytime. I plan to work to 66, I'm 62 now. If I still feel good I may go longer. Mine is a niche job and in very high demand. I've already bought and paid for all the toys I presently own. I need to buy a new truck at some point to replace my 2008 Tundra.
Well done.