Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #915  
You are correct, funny I had an IT shop as well, probably the most productive gig of my life.

The reality does remain, in IT or probably a load of other careers, in your mid 30's if you can't be a useful mid manager, you won't be able to keep up. At least when I was there, there was a place to go and server out another 10 years with some value to the company and not stay up all night reading white papers.........

Best,

ed
I was well into my 40s before I dabbled in IT. I wrote device drivers for hardware, pretty simple if you can think in assembler. It was gig work, but well paid.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #917  
The golden years? I don't know if i'm lucky or just more responsible but i'm in pretty good shape. I've got my aching joints etc etc but generally speaking, pretty good shape for a 50 year old. im pushing 70.

2 of my neighbor buddies are both in ruff shape. one guy is 300 lbs and going for heart surgery next week. just finished knee surgery last month and a couple of other things, i can't keep up.

my other buddy is thin as a rail but lifetime smoker and vodka and he's in ruff shape too.

I suggested the term golden years is BS. I think a better idea is to give a person a 15 year retirement as soon as they finish school or hit 18. Then work till you drop.

It's just a shame to see those guys with nothin but time and can't do much of anything with it.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #918  
I suggested the term golden years is BS. I think a better idea is to give a person a 15 year retirement as soon as they finish school or hit 18. Then work till you drop.
Two or three years of expenses only paid public service after HS, then a “living wage” pension which you can spend as you see fit.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #919  
How many plan or have stayed working to 70 and/or beyond?
i
I find it interesting to see projected benefit at various retirement ages on the SS earnings statement.

Also amusing is total earnings going back to the beginning...

Even though I started paying in at age 12 my first year of earnings is at age 13 based on $50 a week for a 6 day a week summer job washing and being an all around auto dealership gopher...

Last edited:
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #920  
I think that any time you try to write rules governing a situation there is a 90/10 effect. For example, our company instituted some attendance policies. We were able to "get" 90% of the people that had attendance issues, but there were 10% that still managed to navigate the loopholes. Conversely, the new rules "got" 10% of the good employees that had a string of bad luck.

It is very hard to write rules/laws that are "perfect", even if you could come to a consensus of who is deserving.

Doug in SW IA