Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,092  
Yeah but rebalance to what? High-interest Chinese construction bonds? ;)

And folks wonder why the stock market continues to rise?

Many can’t find alternatives. Then, when the crash comes - and it will - it will be devastation.

Find a fee based investment adviser.

MoKelly

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,093  
And folks wonder why the stock market continues to rise?

Many can’t find alternatives. Then, when the crash comes - and it will - it will be devastation.
I was just reading a financial advisor who said the reason stocks continue to rise is for the lack of alternatives. During most booms there are safer alternatives but not this time.

What do you see for alternatives? (Assuming the goal is long term savings, perhaps after several market cycles).

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,094  
Insurance is very state specific. We've been with the same company since before we were married...wife's. We moved a few times (4 states) and always kept the same levels of coverage. Variations were only due to state law and home value.

Here, the deductible is tied to the value of the home...or maybe the coverage amount...I don't recall. It's about 1%.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,095  
I was just reading a financial advisor who said the reason stocks continue to rise is for the lack of alternatives. During most booms there are safer alternatives but not this time.

What do you see for alternatives? (Assuming the goal is long term savings, perhaps after several market cycles).
Income Property/Real Estate traditionally competes with equities as a vehicle for investors...

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,096  

I’ve bought Corporate Bonds, 3-5 year annuities, Mortgages, EFT funds and non-traded preferreds.

I’ve had to be careful not only getting out of balance between equities and fixed, but within equity categories - especially With Apple, Microsoft and Amazon. They can get to an unacceptable percent of the category really fast.

I am no financial advisor and they have many more ideas and stuff available.

MoKelly

Last edited:
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,097  
Employer offers targeted retirement funds in 5 year increments…

My corresponding fund is 1/3 bonds and 2/3 equities and equities are not the high fliers…

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,098  
Income Property/Real Estate traditionally competes with equities as a vehicle for investors...
Hahaha! Not where i have lived. It only competes in certain areas.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,099  
Thank you for the warning, I won't check my balance again until somebody tells me that it's safe again!
(I'm not too worried, hopefully 8 more years before I touch it.)
Wasn't really a warning. Just a statement.

I'm not worried about mine either. I'm 63 quit work at 57 and haven't touched mine. Maybe 8,9,10 more years, @10 years, the government will force me to touch it. so.....Guess I'll have to touch it then.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,100  
Find a fee based investment adviser.
Fired my long time advisor last month. Took my time to find a replacement that fit my needs. I think I interviewed about 10 before settling on the replacement advisor.

If you are going to hire an advisor, take your time, talk with several. They all aren't the same, nor do the same things.
JMO..