Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #171  
Huh, can you please show me how that is so?
Im skeptical of that claim.
My in laws moved from Philadelphia PA to Melbourne Beach FL and cant stop telling us how much money they are saving.
I put the links up. Read them.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #172  
That was under The Peanut. We had nothing to do with that.

In fact, I remember coming back from lobstering in the Keys and having Customs go through our truck, our boat, question us and delaying traffic for hours.

Batista? Depression era Mob? hokay

Most of the heroine and other hard drugs are coming up from Mexico, not through Florida. The US Coast Guard is very efficient and will board your boat 100 miles offshore. They have radar that tells them when a boat leaves our Coastal waters and when it comes back. Not like the old days.

Speaking of the old days, I remember when a Mother Ship was getting chased by the CG and they started throwing bales of pot over the side. Hundreds and hundreds of big, heavy bales.

How it worked was, a bigger Boat, I mean like 100+ feet Cargo Vessel, would loiter offshore while smaller (35 - 40 feet) speed boats (60 MPH+) would pick up their load and haul-ass toward shore. If they got into the 10,000 Islands, they couldn't be caught. No way. They were gonzo. If they got inshore around Sanibel/Captiva or Pine Island they were pretty safe, too.

Square Grouper.

Anyway, they busted a big boat and there was no getting away for them. So they started tossing all this pot overboard and -- Guess what?

It started floating to shore a day or so later. Word got out and there was a traffic jam to the Beach. I mean, the stuff was all over the beach, like seaweed.

The local Cops were pretty cool. If they caught you picking it up they'd just tell you to set it down and leave. Good idea. Anyway, there was lots of funny tasting weed going around for quite a while.

Plus, I'm not talking about honest criminals. I'm talking about the ones in politics.
A college buddy of mine and his friend found a small brick of pot (a kilo)on the beach south of Tallahassee in about ‘79. They dried it out on the hood of their cars. It became known as stinkweed in the local pothead community.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #173  
….Plus, we have what many consider the best School System in the Country...

LOL. I moved Out of FL because of the schools where i was in the 90s with young kids.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #174  
It takes a lot of living to figure out what the questions are. No search engine ever devised is as effective as the human mind for providing information in its necessary context.
No, a search engine is better, by far, as is a library card catalog. Human civilization could not exist if information was limited to what passed directly from one human to the next. I’ve studied a lot of history.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #175  
<snip>

I am a proponent of retiring as soon as possible. I did. Sometimes wish I'd stayed but I'd either be dead or in bad shape. Then the only people the benefit when you die is relatives going through your bank accounts and belongings. You know? The ones that ignored you in your old age? Yeah, those. :)

Retire as young as you can. Just leave enough to not be a burden when you finally pass. Leave a little something if you can but enjoying life is more important. Who knows, with the idiots we've got running things now, we could get nuked into a vaporous mist anyway.
A few years before I retired (at age 57) several of my close cohorts died of various things. They did not enjoy any retirement. Then my wife had 2 strokes, (which she recovered from after about 2 years) and I saw the writing on the wall.
I had a wonderful job, traveling all over the world teaching Soldiers computer mapping. Missed it for about 5 minutes.
Another thing that a lot of people didn't seem to take into account was how much they are making working versus being retired. A lot of my cohorts were making about the max they could garner for retirement yet continued to work.
When I retired the difference between my retired pay and my fulltime pay I was about half the minimum wage for the nominal 2,000 hours a year.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #176  
A few years before I retired (at age 57) several of my close cohorts died of various things. They did not enjoy any retirement. Then my wife had 2 strokes, (which she recovered from after about 2 years) and I saw the writing on the wall.
I had a wonderful job, traveling all over the world teaching Soldiers computer mapping. Missed it for about 5 minutes.
Another thing that a lot of people didn't seem to take into account was how much they are making working versus being retired. A lot of my cohorts were making about the max they could garner for retirement yet continued to work.
When I retired the difference between my retired pay and my fulltime pay I was about half the minimum wage for the nominal 2,000 hours a year.
SO many people share that fate. How many times have you known somebody who was all excited because they had finally pulled the plug, only to get diagnosed with cancer or have a fatal heart attack just a few months later.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #177  
SO many people share that fate. How many times have you known somebody who was all excited because they had finally pulled the plug, only to get diagnosed with cancer or have a fatal heart attack just a few months later.
True. My Dad beat cancer when he was 34...had radical and I mean radical surgery.
When he was 56 asked me if I thought he should retire from Sears. He had a really good investment. I said "you've given them the best hours of the best days and years of your life. Yes...retire!" And he did...passed a few years at 88. Great husband, Dad, and happy 32 retirement years and I and 95 yo Mom miss him.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future
I view thinking about dying could become a self fulfilling prophecy. I view thinking about living could become a self fulfilling prophecy.

My mom's dad I remember when I was 3 or 4 years old he would cry every Christmas and say I may not see you next year. He passed away when I was 42. :)

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #179  
No, a search engine is better, by far, as is a library card catalog. Human civilization could not exist if information was limited to what passed directly from one human to the next. I’ve studied a lot of history.
There's that. :rolleyes:

Even so, an expert in their field can direct you in many ways that would be laborious with a search engine or card catalog.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #180