Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,471  
Just don't think 30 percent returns on investments are normal. Like some. LOL.
No. We have averaged 12% since 2007… our retirement goals are planned using a 7% average however. Having a 7 figure retirement account value at this age, gives me great comfort. My ability to earn in my occupation could be lost on any given day. I’ve seen it happen to colleagues… who didn’t plan so well. Devastating.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,472  
I never lived for retirement. I was happy to stay out of serious debt..........be not beholden to any employer...enjoy whatever i did for a living which included several occupations. When I reached 65 I looked forward to doing some fishing, maybe take up wood working or even go deer hunting.

So now....I have all the above equipment but never pursued any of it. I just kept on working till I was 74,,,,put some money away (finally), paid off the house and cars, buried my beloved wife and just pretty much keep on doing what I've done the past 90 years or so.

Your ambitions may be different however.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,473  
I never lived for retirement. I was happy to stay out of serious debt..........be not beholden to any employer...enjoy whatever i did for a living which included several occupations. When I reached 65 I looked forward to doing some fishing, maybe take up wood working or even go deer hunting.

So now....I have all the above equipment but never pursued any of it. I just kept on working till I was 74,,,,put some money away (finally), paid off the house and cars, buried my beloved wife and just pretty much keep on doing what I've done the pst 90 years or so.

Your ambitions may be different however.

Cheers,
Mike
Enjoy life. You can't take it with you.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,474  
I have found out...I am not chasing numbers...I am chasing time. So I enjoy as I go. The numbers will work themselves out....maybe. 😆

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,475  
This is $5,000 invested in the S&P 500 inception to today, never adding a penny but letting it compound. The rocket has liftoff year 42 then takes off.
Second graph, same scenario except this time starting with $1,000 investment and adding $100 per month. Of course after 20-30 years adding $100/month doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
Most people don't understand the simple concept of compound interest.
Albert Einstein once said “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it; he who doesn't, pays it”.
2023_01_26_18.18.19.jpg
2023_01_26_18.26.59.jpg

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,476  
I moved my 401k from 100% Vanguard retirement fund VTHRX to 100% money market a few days ago. MM is earning about 4% and I'm concerned what 2023/2024 will bring. Only time will tell if this is a good decision or not. I know we're not supposed to try to time the market but 4% sounds pretty good right now.

Kevin
I keep waiting for a decent panic, but so far stocks have been pretty boring. I would love a 40% crash. I would buy like a bandit.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,477  
This is $5,000 invested in the S&P 500 inception to today, never adding a penny but letting it compound. The rocket has liftoff year 42 then takes off.
Second graph, same scenario except this time starting with $1,000 investment and adding $100 per month.
Most people don't understand the simple concept of compound interest.
Albert Einstein once said “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it; he who doesn't, pays it”.
Most people don't appreciate the leverage applied by using time as an investment tool.

Mid 90's, the proceeds I had put into S&P and similar funds after selling rentals I had bought cheap and renovated years before, suddenly jumped $250k in a year. WTH?? Then $350k the next year. Ok, time for a major realignment of life goals. Instead of working to 65 I retired at 54 with a moderate pension (about equal to SS) that included lifetime medical insurance. I figured that so long as S&P stayed over 900, we would be ok. It has.

We live comfortably but not extravagant, for example newest car is a 2005 that looks and runs like new No debt. Now 20+ years later after putting two kids through university and buying out sis's inherited half of the ranch (apple orchard), our savings balance is 40% higher than retirement day.

The best investment advice I've seen, corroborated by Warren Buffet, is you will do better than the results of 85% of individual investors if you just buy and hold a S&P mutual fund. Clearly you can do better if you actively manage some project like rentals or a business where you are actively involved. The S&P advice is for if you don't want to think about your investments.

Now at an age where IRS expects not much remaining lifetime, the RMD's each year are a lot more taxable income than we have a use for. We've started $10k annual contributions into grandchildrens' 529, college savings plans, S&P funds. Hopefully over 20 years their funds will have appreciated more than the rate of inflation.

Why S&P? My theory, not supported by any research I've seen is: This is the list of America's most powerful corporations, who have the power to dominate or merge lesser businesses, as well as to buy the legislation they need to maintain this dominance. Everybody else is wasting effort trying to keep up with them. Just a theory but I think it explains a lot.

YMMV...

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,478  
Who wants to retire? My job is too fun to retire from! Not even close, anyway.
When I retire, I’ll be horizontal in a field, work boots laced, ready for my Lord.
Rocking chair be damned! :)

Now….about those knee replacements…..
There is a man after my own heart! I myself am going out feet first.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,480  
There is a man after my own heart! I myself am going out feet first.
One of the guys I work with said that I’ll probably work until I die. And he will know it’s getting close because I’ll quit working on most of my projects and build a pine box. I laughed and told him, that I might not get it done in time. I tend to put things of until the last minute. He laughed and said he’d finish it for me.