Reversing front wheels

/ Reversing front wheels #1  

alexinPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Thinking about reversing front wheels on Kubota 7800 to fit snow chains. Question for those who did it: any problems with front end? How much additional spacing did you get?
Planning to do it for winter months only, then turn them back. No heavy loader work in winter just snow. Suggestions?

/ Reversing front wheels #2  
Many older 4wd tractors mentioned reversing the front wheels for loader work, that is swapping wheels left to right. But I gather you intend to swap the wheels as in changing the side the valve stem is on.

/ Reversing front wheels #3  
I haven’t done it because mine had clearance for chains in standard spacing (not your model - Grand L). But was fantastic improvement and I had no problems. Without chains, there was no resistance to plow angle. I did lose a wheel bearing on my L5740 in winter before buying chains partly because I frequently had to switch from blade to loader to widen out windrows. With chains, I could push windrows further from the start, and taller windrows.

/ Reversing front wheels
Many older 4wd tractors mentioned reversing the front wheels for loader work, that is swapping wheels left to right. But I gather you intend to swap the wheels as in changing the side the valve stem is on.
Yes, you 're correct

/ Reversing front wheels #5  
Left to right swap would change side valve stem is on.

/ Reversing front wheels #6  
Reversing or swapping wheels is usually done to increase or decrease tread width or distance between the tires on a tractor. The difference being that if you reverse wheels and keep them on the same side you are changing the direction of the tread. If you swap them left to right you will maintain the same tread direction. This has been done many times by many owners. One thing that can happen is if you are loading up the front with a lot of weight you may be replacing axle bearings a little sooner. Other than that you should be fine.

Sorry I can not give you any specific details with regard to how much clearance you will gain on your tractor.

Hope this helps!!

/ Reversing front wheels #7  
Left to Right will not change valve stem side. It only changes the lug direction. To change the valve stem side you need to insert the lug bolts thru the opposite side of the rim.

/ Reversing front wheels #8  
Left to Right will not change valve stem side. It only changes the lug direction. To change the valve stem side you need to insert the lug bolts thru the opposite side of the rim.
But it will change weather the stem is on the outside or inside, which is what I believe they meant.

/ Reversing front wheels #9  
Is this a little tractor with very small front wheels?
That is the only reason I can imagine worrying about what side the valve stem is on.
Usually chain interference is in the back with fenders and the front is wide open.

/ Reversing front wheels #10  
No it will not and the reason this all matters is because most tractor rims have a built in offset which changes the width, as originally questioned by the OP.