Reversing (or changing) skid shoes.

/ Reversing (or changing) skid shoes. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
The skid shoes on my LPGS (Landpride) are reversible. I looked at them and the wear indicated it was time.

Each skid shoe is held in place by 6 bolts. The bolts are smooth on top and have a square section that interfaces with the skid shoe to prevent them from turning. A nut goes on the other end. Not surprisingly, as the skid shoe gets worn down, some of the bolts do also. These bolts need to go with the worn section as a less worn bolt will stick out.

Using an impact wrench easily loosened the nuts but, as they get loose, they can fall down and spin. One simply needs to press the bolt back up so the square section will lock. Easy-Peasy, IF you can hold the bolt up while pushing down on the nut with a socket on an impact wrench.

Unfortunately, holding the bolt up is not as easy as one might imagine, particularly if it is worn. Additionally, he bolt that had the most wear was RAZOR SHARP. I learned this when it cut my finger. Upon reflection, WELL-DUH! Why didn't I wear gloves? Got a band aid and continued on.

On to the next side, gloved hand, different finger. Yep, cut right thru the glove. Another band aid and a block of wood fixed me right up.

I'll certainly remember this the next time I need to change them.

Hope I save someone from bleeding on their LPGS.

/ Reversing (or changing) skid shoes. #2  
The skid shoes on my LPGS (Landpride) are reversible. I looked at them and the wear indicated it was time.

Each skid shoe is held in place by 6 bolts. The bolts are smooth on top and have a square section that interfaces with the skid shoe to prevent them from turning. A nut goes on the other end. Not surprisingly, as the skid shoe gets worn down, some of the bolts do also. These bolts need to go with the worn section as a less worn bolt will stick out.

Using an impact wrench easily loosened the nuts but, as they get loose, they can fall down and spin. One simply needs to press the bolt back up so the square section will lock. Easy-Peasy, IF you can hold the bolt up while pushing down on the nut with a socket on an impact wrench.

Unfortunately, holding the bolt up is not as easy as one might imagine, particularly if it is worn. Additionally, he bolt that had the most wear was RAZOR SHARP. I learned this when it cut my finger. Upon reflection, WELL-DUH! Why didn't I wear gloves? Got a band aid and continued on.

On to the next side, gloved hand, different finger. Yep, cut right thru the glove. Another band aid and a block of wood fixed me right up.

I'll certainly remember this the next time I need to change them.

Hope I save someone from bleeding on their LPGS.

Ha! Been there myself, more times than I wish to count.