Reversing Using Mirrors With a 3PTH Snowblower

/ Reversing Using Mirrors With a 3PTH Snowblower #11  
Half mile straight drive, use the mirrors quite a bit. Still have to turn in the seat, but not for long sections. Good driveway markers and lights are key to success. Snow on the mirrors and cab side windows is easy to clean off, if and when needed. Need to get out to drain the vein anyway.

/ Reversing Using Mirrors With a 3PTH Snowblower #12  
So far nobody that has used or still uses this system has said it works well. I'm getting the sense that this is not a workable solution. I find the convex mirrors make it difficult to judge distances, even under ideal conditions. So using those mirrors to guide the tractor and blower under adverse conditions is not likely to work well, if at all. I was considering getting flat surface, heated mirrors but there would still be water on them, which would interfere with clear visibility but maybe it would be acceptable.

Rear cameras that I've seen are similar to the convex mirrors and distort the views, making it very difficult to judge distances.

Unless somebody responds to this thread, stating they have a method that works well with this system, it looks like I may be back to finding another solution.

Hillbilly, I've been using a backup mirror with my 3 pt blower for close to 30 years now and wouldn't be without one. I've never had a stiff neck! It was first used on my JD750 tractor and quickly moved inside a cab I built for the same. Two years ago I bought a Kubota B2650, built a removeable cab for winter use and moved the mirror into the new cab. The mirror used is a side mirror off of a semi truck and is mounted horizontally above and in front while sitting in the cab. When first used, in the beginning, it was on a bracket attached to the top of the rops on the JD and then moved inside after making a cab for it. Mounted horizontally, the long mirror gives a nice, wide, undistorted view of the blower behind. Steering while looking into the mirror is intuitive and easy as can be! The few times you need to or should look over your shoulder or to the sides is to look for traffic at the intersections, foot traffic, etc. I have a build article on the Kubota cab that shows the mirror on the orangetractortalks website. You can find it with a search for "Kubota B2650 Cab Fabrication". The mirror also has a heater built in but I've never had the need to wire it up. Here's a link to that build (if it works): Kubota B2650 Cab Fabrication - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

Maybe this will help with your ideas.
Regards,
David

/ Reversing Using Mirrors With a 3PTH Snowblower
I use the mirrors some while snow blowing but not for the detail work. They do help some but aren't a reliable substitute for turning around to see what I am doing.

The biggest help I found from a visibility stand point is I fixed my snow blower chute so all the snow was blowing out the top of the chute rather than some spraying out of the joints. I also added a piece of thin wall pipe to the top plate of the chute. I molded it so it fit the square corners of the chute but the discharge end was still round so it channeled the snow where I wanted it to go and I ended up with less random spray. Those two fixes increased my throwing distance, improved my control over where the snow was being blown too and improved visibility. Picture in your mind water running onto a flat rock versus water coming out of a garden hose.

Good points about the chute design. I watched a few videos after reading your comments and can see where a lot of snow is blowing around and out of the chute before it ever gets to the end.

Hillbilly, I've been using a backup mirror with my 3 pt blower for close to 30 years now and wouldn't be without one. I've never had a stiff neck! It was first used on my JD750 tractor and quickly moved inside a cab I built for the same. Two years ago I bought a Kubota B2650, built a removeable cab for winter use and moved the mirror into the new cab. The mirror used is a side mirror off of a semi truck and is mounted horizontally above and in front while sitting in the cab. When first used, in the beginning, it was on a bracket attached to the top of the rops on the JD and then moved inside after making a cab for it. Mounted horizontally, the long mirror gives a nice, wide, undistorted view of the blower behind. Steering while looking into the mirror is intuitive and easy as can be! The few times you need to or should look over your shoulder or to the sides is to look for traffic at the intersections, foot traffic, etc. I have a build article on the Kubota cab that shows the mirror on the orangetractortalks website. You can find it with a search for "Kubota B2650 Cab Fabrication". The mirror also has a heater built in but I've never had the need to wire it up. Here's a link to that build (if it works): Kubota B2650 Cab Fabrication - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

Maybe this will help with your ideas.
Regards,
David

I checked out your cab build and that is impressive work. Nice job!

I noticed the mirror too and think that may be a solution or partial solution to using mirrors for backing up with the blower. I use side view mirrors on my pick up truck for all my reversing needs and find it works very well but those mirrors are placed in a perfect location to give me sight lines along the sides of the truck and they are regular mirrors, not convex. They are also heated. I know they get wet when it rains but can't remember if that is an issue or not. You'd think that after 50 years of driving I would remember something like that.:D

Someone mentioned using a front mount plow and rear inverted blower. I use an 8' front mount plow now and have considered a rear inverted blower but it wouldn't work in my situation unless I completely changed the way I deal with snow on the driveway. The way I see it, I would have to use the blower for every snowfall and blowers are way slower than using a plow. If I only had a few hundred feet of driveway it wouldn't matter. I could use a rear facing blower and get the job done quick enough or use an inverted and get it done faster. But I have a long (1.5 km) driveway and blowing that every storm would take much longer than plowing every one and only having to blow sometimes or never if we don't get a lot of snow. I can't imagine trying to drive through this bank with my tractor pulling an inverted blower. For my needs I believe the blower must be the first thing to enter the snow, when blowing is needed.
DSCN2650.JPGDSCN2651.JPG

/ Reversing Using Mirrors With a 3PTH Snowblower #14  
I checked out your cab build and that is impressive work. Nice job!

I noticed the mirror too and think that may be a solution or partial solution to using mirrors for backing up with the blower. I use side view mirrors on my pick up truck for all my reversing needs and find it works very well but those mirrors are placed in a perfect location to give me sight lines along the sides of the truck and they are regular mirrors, not convex. They are also heated. I know they get wet when it rains but can't remember if that is an issue or not. You'd think that after 50 years of driving I would remember something like that.:D

Someone mentioned using a front mount plow and rear inverted blower. I use an 8' front mount plow now and have considered a rear inverted blower but it wouldn't work in my situation unless I completely changed the way I deal with snow on the driveway. The way I see it, I would have to use the blower for every snowfall and blowers are way slower than using a plow. If I only had a few hundred feet of driveway it wouldn't matter. I could use a rear facing blower and get the job done quick enough or use an inverted and get it done faster. But I have a long (1.5 km) driveway and blowing that every storm would take much longer than plowing every one and only having to blow sometimes or never if we don't get a lot of snow. I can't imagine trying to drive through this bank with my tractor pulling an inverted blower. For my needs I believe the blower must be the first thing to enter the snow, when blowing is needed.
View attachment 627567View attachment 627568

Thanks for the compliments, Hilbilly! Unfortunately, its about that time to put it on again. No Indian summer this fall here in North Dakota!!

I see you have a sunshade/roof mounted on your rops. You could easily fab up a mount and just ad a mirror to that. The mirrors are cheap and even cheaper at the junkyard.
Even if you had anything similar to a wide mirror you could just hold it up and in front of you while sitting on the tractor just to get an idea of what the view of the blower would be from it. My mount allows the mirror to be tilted with just a friction fit on the mounting bolts so I can adjust it to suit the need for the day. Even on your open station tractor you'd be surprised how much easier it makes it. there is virtually no learning curve to the steering and with a wide mirror its easy to see both sides of the blower along with what's behind you just by how you're looking into that mirror. For just a few bucks (or even free) its a pretty cheap addition. I have to make a summer mount to go on just the rops so I can have the same mirror for my roto tilling, cultivating, etc. anything that tends to clog up I have to keep turning around to check. I'd sure rather be checking in the mirror for the most part.

bird dogger, the tractor in those pics is my previous one. I got a new cab tractor this summer and am now looking forward to some snow. The pic was intended to show that an inverted snow blower would not work for my circumstances.

After I took those pics I got an HLA 2000 (8' wide) front mount plow that does a great job of plowing down the long part of the driveway and around the buildings. With my current snow routine I only use the blower after the snow banks build up too much and cause the driveway width to get too narrow.

/ Reversing Using Mirrors With a 3PTH Snowblower #16  
I use suction mounted ski boat wide angle mirrors on the inside of the front glass of my cab tractor.... one left, one right....in addition to the factory outboard mirrors. My rear and side glass have heat wires inside and keeps glass clear and mirrors help to keep me facing forward while blowing in reverse. Got the mirrors from Amazon.

/ Reversing Using Mirrors With a 3PTH Snowblower #17  
My solution was to mount a back up camera and that sure saves me from a stiff neck.
Have had it for 4 years now and no problems.
All in all it set me back a tad over $50 from offshore source.
Only complaint is the snow being blown has a yellow shade due to my beacon reflection but I live with that.
Camera has built in guide lines that on the tractor are not accurate but still serve my purpose.

I use suction mounted ski boat wide angle mirrors on the inside of the front glass of my cab tractor.... one left, one right....in addition to the factory outboard mirrors. My rear and side glass have heat wires inside and keeps glass clear and mirrors help to keep me facing forward while blowing in reverse. Got the mirrors from Amazon.

Never thought of that. Great idea and thanks for that. I will add it to my list of possible solutions.

I better start writing this stuff down because if I store it in the memory vault it never gets back out.:D

My solution was to mount a back up camera and that sure saves me from a stiff neck.
Have had it for 4 years now and no problems.
All in all it set me back a tad over $50 from offshore source.
Only complaint is the snow being blown has a yellow shade due to my beacon reflection but I live with that.
Camera has built in guide lines that on the tractor are not accurate but still serve my purpose.

Another possible solution.

I'll see how this winter goes with the whole backing up, without looking over the shoulder, plan.

I was very close to buying a new wider rear facing blower with the hopes that the mirror plan will work. Then I started thinking about possibly getting an inverted blower. So I watched a bunch more videos but can't find any showing a Farm King inverted blower in conditions similar to mine. My biggest concern with inverted is how fast I can blow with the model I am considering. I don't want to spend a bunch of money for an inverted blower and find out I have the wrong one and it doesn't blow snow any faster than my current blower.

I'm getting frustrated with this whole issue and think I will just add wings to my current blower and try using the mirrors I have and if that doesn't work, try some different mirrors and if that doesn't work, try a back up camera. I will also try different methods to try and gauge whether I would be better off with a wider inverted blower or a wider rear facing one. Then buy a new one next season or later this season, if there are any of the ones I want, left around here. Not much selection around here though and I'm sure after the first real snow falls there will be less to choose from.