Reviews on Ozone Generators

/ Reviews on Ozone Generators #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
My shipping container has a gasoline smell in it from a leaking 4 wheeler that used to live in there. Doesn't bother me much but my wife dislikes staying in our little cabin on one side of the container due to the smell. I would like to get rid of the smell.

Ozone generators are rumored to remove smells. Some people say it is snake oil, others swear by it. Does anyone have any first hand info on ozone generators and their ability to neutralize odors?

I have a friend that moved into a house an Indian family (from India) lived in and the house smelled strongly of their cooking. Permeating the walls and carpets, etc. He said he rented an ozone generator and it took care of the problem. I was there a month or so after the treatment and I could not smell any odor. But if you look online the filter manufacturers say it doesn't work. Before I bought one I thought I would get some first hand experience from others.

Last edited:
   / Reviews on Ozone Generators #2  
We have had a Living Air Classic for several years. They do in fact work. They will also clear a room of smoke in a matter of seconds (personal experience). They are expensive but well worth buying one for long term health advantages. Caution, do not turn the ozone up too high if you are in the room for any length of time, and they do require regular maintenance. Be careful with the glass plates as they are very thin.

/ Reviews on Ozone Generators #3  
I use several high output ozone generators, and yes they do eliminate odors (never tried gasoline though). If you go that route, make sure to read up on the hazards and avoid exposure to unhealthy / dangerous concentrations of ozone. Ozone is no joke for long term small concentrations, or short term high concentrations.

/ Reviews on Ozone Generators
Ok that is 3 for 3 on positive reviews! Great! Now the next question is rent or buy.

/ Reviews on Ozone Generators #5  
ozone generators are cheap, but they produce unhealthy levels of ozone, you need to air the room out once done. I have found they do work

Last edited:
   / Reviews on Ozone Generators #6  
I have an ozone gen,, purchased from a neighbor that was selling them 20 years ago,,
I only use it in an empty room (no people) as they are touted to have health hazards,,??

BUT, We have a NEW trick that absorbs odors,, and is seems to work pretty well.

We dump charcoal in an aluminum tray, then set the trays around the room.
One tray per room, stick it somewhere that is not noticed.

Hardwood charcoal works better than the Kingsford stuff, that is 1/2 coal.

This is our favorite, we get it at Sams Club,,,

62797de188bb08891941f0fd_thegoodcharcoal_frontofbag.jpg

The BEST part, is there is two ways to recycle the stuff,

1) cook with it after it sets in the room a couple months
2) set the tray(s) out in the sun for 4-6 hours, the odors just go away, then use again.

The theory behind the charcoal is that each cubic inch of charcoal has the surface area of a couple football fields.
That large surface area traps the odors,,

Sitting in the sun, the heat drives off the odors.

The best part is when we go on vacation, for a week.
When we return, the house smells "fresh",, not the usual "closed up" stale smell.

PLUS, it uses less electricity than a Tesla!! (y)

I have an ozone gen,, purchased from a neighbor that was selling them 20 years ago,,
I only use it in an empty room (no people) as they are touted to have health hazards,,??

BUT, We have a NEW trick that absorbs odors,, and is seems to work pretty well.

We dump charcoal in an aluminum tray, then set the trays around the room.
One tray per room, stick it somewhere that is not noticed.

Hardwood charcoal works better than the Kingsford stuff, that is 1/2 coal.

This is our favorite, we get it at Sams Club,,,

62797de188bb08891941f0fd_thegoodcharcoal_frontofbag.jpg

The BEST part, is there is two ways to recycle the stuff,

1) cook with it after it sets in the room a couple months
2) set the tray(s) out in the sun for 4-6 hours, the odors just go away, then use again.

The theory behind the charcoal is that each cubic inch of charcoal has the surface area of a couple football fields.
That large surface area traps the odors,,

Sitting in the sun, the heat drives off the odors.

The best part is when we go on vacation, for a week.
When we return, the house smells "fresh",, not the usual "closed up" stale smell.

PLUS, it uses less electricity than a Tesla!! (y)
I will try this!! Can't hurt to try!!

/ Reviews on Ozone Generators #9  
We had a small pollution monitoring shack at the power plant with some equipment in it. It had an ozone generator even though i think it was used for the sensing tubes it gave me a headache. From then on I refused to work in there without the door wide open.

We had a small pollution monitoring shack at the power plant with some equipment in it. It had an ozone generator even though i think it was used for the sensing tubes it gave me a headache. From then on I refused to work in there without the door wide open.
Yeah, I heard larger concentrations are not good for you. I plan on locking this in the container for a couple of hours and then air it out VERY well.