Revised Ohio Commercial Vehicle Rules

/ Revised Ohio Commercial Vehicle Rules #1  

bdeboer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2402D
I saw an article about a bill to prevent the PUCO from lowering the commercial vehicle requirement from 26K to 10K. I did find the comment by the PUCO spokesperson about speaking English amusing.

Bill would put new state truck rules on hold | The Columbus Dispatch

Of course the PUCO blames the feds. The ratings affect combination vehicles also. Which means any 1/2 ton pulling a 7,000 lb trailer. If you scroll down to page 6 it also mentions posession of alcohol (along with drugs). I take it this means you cannot stop and pick up beer (or a bottle of wine) along with your groceries on your way home. I wonder if the truck is not connected to a trailer if the rules apply? My trucks are 9200 GVW and 6400 GVW without a trailer. Do you still have to fill out a log if not connected?

Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Medical Exam and Medical Waivers

If nothing else, January 1, 2012 the revenue enforcement will begin.

Last edited:
   / Revised Ohio Commercial Vehicle Rules #2  
From what I see, that would only apply to people driving commercially (e.g. driving for a business.)

But, IANAL

Ken

/ Revised Ohio Commercial Vehicle Rules
From what I see, that would only apply to people driving commercially (e.g. driving for a business.)

But, IANAL

Ken

One of the trucks is registered to my wifes business. The other is primarily used for maintaining and rehabbing investment properties. This truck is only driven by me. I am not exactly sure if that truck is "commercial" or not.

/ Revised Ohio Commercial Vehicle Rules #4  
One of the trucks is registered to my wifes business. The other is primarily used for maintaining and rehabbing investment properties. This truck is only driven by me. I am not exactly sure if that truck is "commercial" or not.

You are in foggy territory:(. Again, IANAL, but I would say that if the vehicle has USDOT number on it, then such a change would apply to you for sure. If it doesn't have a USDOT number on it then you might be okay (or maybe not.)

Ken

/ Revised Ohio Commercial Vehicle Rules
You are in foggy territory:(. Again, IANAL, but I would say that if the vehicle has USDOT number on it, then such a change would apply to you for sure. If it doesn't have a USDOT number on it then you might be okay (or maybe not.)

Ken

I agree with foggy. I am also curious if pulling a privately owned RV behind a commercially tagged truck out of state requires a USDOT #.

/ Revised Ohio Commercial Vehicle Rules #6  
I agree with foggy. I am also curious if pulling a privately owned RV behind a commercially tagged truck out of state requires a USDOT #.

NO.

RV is exempt.

Do you pull trailer for your business? IF your GVWR or combined GVWR is 10k or under then you are not a CMV-Commercial Motor Vehicle.

/ Revised Ohio Commercial Vehicle Rules #7  
RV is exempt.

Not totally true. You are not exempt if you are pulling it for hire (e.g. factory to dealer). Having a USDOT # on the truck will likely attract DOT attention and you have to be able to convince the officer that you are not pulling it for hire.

Ken

/ Revised Ohio Commercial Vehicle Rules #8  
This has definatally caught my eye.

I am not too knowledged on this whole subject. But their seems to be several threads each year come up about trailering and what is leagal and what is not. And no one ever seems to have a clear cut answer.

I have a 1/2 ton silverado, 6600GVWR. I also have a 7k trailer to pull around the tractor and other things. Trailer is NON COMM. BUT I do have COMM plates on the truck for plowing purposes.

And since you cant just run COM plats part of the year, in the summer when I am trailering the tractor to/from my house to where we cut wood, am I now illegal??????? Will I have to have a CDL???Medical exams???

/ Revised Ohio Commercial Vehicle Rules #10  
This has definatally caught my eye.

I am not too knowledged on this whole subject. But their seems to be several threads each year come up about trailering and what is leagal and what is not. And no one ever seems to have a clear cut answer.

I have a 1/2 ton silverado, 6600GVWR. I also have a 7k trailer to pull around the tractor and other things. Trailer is NON COMM. BUT I do have COMM plates on the truck for plowing purposes.

And since you cant just run COM plats part of the year, in the summer when I am trailering the tractor to/from my house to where we cut wood, am I now illegal??????? Will I have to have a CDL???Medical exams???

Definitely NO to the CDL. You don't meet the definition of a CMV requiring a CDL as long as you don't haul HazMat.

Personal use is exempt on a federal level, I have not read Ohio's version lately but recall that it pretty much matched the federal requirements.

Last edited: