RhinoHide Sunshade experience, anyone?

/ RhinoHide Sunshade experience, anyone? #1  

JOHNTHOMAS

Tractor
F2690 4WD RTV X1140 MX5400 HST ZD1211
Need a sunshade for my L3901. Planned to use mostly in woods but looks like most work has been out in open sun and have recently discovered skin condition not conducive to sunshine.
I've bought several of the heavy fiberglas ones from Barlows but would like one a bit less money and easier to take off and put back on. Have found this RhinoHide sunshade and one model is an easy on/off model for a bit more money. Anyone have any experience with these particular sunshades? Anyone know of another one for less that does more and easy on/off?
[h=3]http://www.rhinohidecanopies.com/desktop.html[/h]
Rhinohide "TOUGH" Tractor / Mower canopies

/ RhinoHide Sunshade experience, anyone? #2  
Need a sunshade for my L3901. Planned to use mostly in woods but looks like most work has been out in open sun and have recently discovered skin condition not conducive to sunshine.
I've bought several of the heavy fiberglas ones from Barlows but would like one a bit less money and easier to take off and put back on. Have found this RhinoHide sunshade and one model is an easy on/off model for a bit more money. Anyone have any experience with these particular sunshades? Anyone know of another one for less that does more and easy on/off?
[h=3]http://www.rhinohidecanopies.com/desktop.html[/h]
Rhinohide "TOUGH" Tractor / Mower canopies

That looks like a lid off a dumpster. I dont know why it would not work and price seems reasonable

/ RhinoHide Sunshade experience, anyone? #3  
It works pretty well. You do have to drill your own holes on their brackets (at least I did on mine), so make sure everything is lined up really well and clamped or else you end up with a slightly skewed roof.

/ RhinoHide Sunshade experience, anyone? #4  
IMG_0593.JPG

/ RhinoHide Sunshade experience, anyone?
That looks like a lid off a dumpster. I dont know why it would not work and price seems reasonable
Maybe that's why people kept stealing the sliding side door off my dumpster!!!:eek::shocked::Ddoors
It works pretty well. You do have to drill your own holes on their brackets (at least I did on mine), so make sure everything is lined up really well and clamped or else you end up with a slightly skewed roof.

Do you get enough coverage from sun?

/ RhinoHide Sunshade experience, anyone? #6  
Maybe that's why people kept stealing the sliding side door off my dumpster!!!:eek::shocked::Ddoors

Do you get enough coverage from sun?

Actually yes, but I wear a hat anyways.

/ RhinoHide Sunshade experience, anyone? #7  
Classic situation. I have skin CA issues too (which a good baseball cap covered...) but cutting for hours in hot weather/bright sun motivated me to buy a canopy. [On a much larger tractor...] I used the CoverMyTractor brand recommended to me by several people including one dealer who confided it was better made than the higher priced ones through the tractor mfr. On my larger tractor at least I had to order the 3 piece unit to be able to have it shipped UPS. That avoided messy shipping and higher costs. The Tractor Covers, Cabs & Farm Equipment Enclosures | Cover My Tractor will show what they have and how to order. I am extremely happy with mine and was crazy not to put it on sooner.

Now, a few comments on the unit you provided a link for: These canopies (regardless of brand) are cantilevered way out from the supports and will vibrate like crazy even when VERY solid mechanically. Seems rock solid sitting still and motor off. The single point, single u-bolt bracket on each side with the RhinoHide is certain to amplify and make worse whatever vibration and "shaking" problem you might have with any brand. In my opinion it is flimsy (looking at the RhinoHide pictures) not to have a more sturdy attachment mechanism. On the other hand, maybe it is so much smaller (roughly half the size of large tractor canopies) that this is less of a problem.

All that said, if I were you & before purchase, I would find people who own one and discuss their satisfaction, ask about the vibration and mainly does it hold up and stay tight. RhinoHide should be willing to provide 2 or 3 customers for you to contact.

/ RhinoHide Sunshade experience, anyone? #8  
The cover does not vibrate. And even if it did, there's no way I would hear it over the tractor noise. It's pretty sturdy. The only downside is that rain water collects on mine and drops off the side when I first start moving the tractor. It splashes me a little bit. Otherwise, it's a pretty good cover.

I've bought many of the fiberglas hard canopies over the years and currently have one on my F3080. Sold my Niece a small Kubota Z and had moved the canopy from a tractor to the Z and left it on it when I sold it to her. Didn't realize it's now a $400 canopy.
A few years ago I built a canopy for a F2680e with schedule 40 PVC and a canvas drop shade I bought at a yard sale in Florence, SC on my way home from vacation at NMB. I used stainless steel U clamps with two on each side. I would hit a guy wire from time to time and make it go cygoggle/crooked/off perfect alignment.
Decided I don't want to pay $400 for one I can't remove by mayself easily, don't want to order one that will feel like cheap junk for $200 or even $100. Also did the cheap junk umbrella thing some years ago. So, went to Lowe's today and bought three (3) 10' pieces of 1 1/4" schedule 40, 4 elbows and two Ts for around $25 with vet discount. Plan to build one with support going down in the front thus reason for two Ts and support arms going down ROPS thus two 90 degree angles/elbows and a bar across the front thus the reason for the two more elbows. I'll clamp the lengths down the ROPS with probably U clamps with some form of rubber between pipes and ROPS and possible will get a section of 1 1/2" to fasten to ROPS and slide the two 1 1/4" arms into it so I can just lift it out to remove top. Haven't looked at how I'll support the two front down legs into the FEL arms that different people that built their own mentioned doing. Don't think I'll really need the two front legs but want to try that to see if it works better. I'll get a silver coated tarp at Harbour Freight or find the one I've already bought a few years ago and is here somewhere. Or just see what tarps they have that will work and look OK. My wife can sew me the cover to slip over the frame with maybe velcro fasteners or I may try grommets and zip ties or small ropes. I'll have to let her decide how best to fasten top. Can even screw it thru top material and into the PVC.
my BIL has a machine shop and would/can do what I need in metal but I can do PVC myself when I want to with no waiting and PVC schedule 40 is strong, rustfree and easily modified with all kinds of pre made connections, joints, angles off the shelf.
Anyway, this is how I'm going for now but I'm flexible enough to do something different if I'm not satisfied.
Thanks for input.

Built my own sunshade for under $50 and satisfied with my creation/work. Easy off and on by myself in a couple of minutes with little effort and no strain. I should start selling them if I get some orange tarps.:D:cool2: I think it even looks good and a few clean up details would make a more professionally finished look.