Ricky Skaggs

/ Ricky Skaggs #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
I've got tickets to Ricky Skaggs & the Skaggs Family tonight - - looking forward to it. It is a Christmas program, which is OK I guess. I like bluegrass considerably - - & I like Christmas music. I'm not too sure about bluegrass Christmas music. We'll see. Whatever, I'm looking forward to it.
Jack

/ Ricky Skaggs #2  
I've got tickets to Ricky Skaggs & the Skaggs Family tonight - - looking forward to it. It is a Christmas program, which is OK I guess. I like bluegrass considerably - - & I like Christmas music. I'm not too sure about bluegrass Christmas music. We'll see. Whatever, I'm looking forward to it.
Jack

I hope you enjoy it. Ricky is smooth as silk, and fast as lightning. I have heard many a Bluegrass Christmas song, and I never heard one I didn't like.
Enjoy!

/ Ricky Skaggs #3  
You'll love it. Went to see RS and Kentucky Thunder a couple of years ago, and they were easily the best road show I've seen in bluegrass. Incredibly talented musicians, clean vocals, very tight harmony, and as a bonus they were just about nonstop--no fooling around ten minutes between numbers like some bands. Skaggs really puts on a top notch show! I hope they show up in my area again soon, I can't wait to see them again, worth every penny!

/ Ricky Skaggs #4  
I bet you will like it. I like about all that Ricky Skaggs does. I also appreciate him going back into pushing Bluegrass with Kentucky Thunder after his many country hits. He knows where his roots are. Ken Sweet

/ Ricky Skaggs #5  
You'll love it. Went to see RS and Kentucky Thunder a couple of years ago, and they were easily the best road show I've seen in bluegrass. Incredibly talented musicians, clean vocals, very tight harmony, and as a bonus they were just about nonstop--no fooling around ten minutes between numbers like some bands. Skaggs really puts on a top notch show! I hope they show up in my area again soon, I can't wait to see them again, worth every penny!

Picker77. Do you pick?

/ Ricky Skaggs #6  
Picker77. Do you pick?

How'd you guess? LOL. Banjo & guitar + a little mandolin, dobro, and fiddle. Mostly old time and BG gospel. Getting old and arthritis is creeping into the hands so I don't play regularly any more--chops have mostly gone south by now. Back in the day (70's and 80's) I might have been a 4 or 5 on a scale of 10, with 'what's a banjo?' as 1 and J.D. Crowe as 10. Still have my 1938 Mastertone top tension with custom 5-string neck, though. I probably should sell it--it would likely have paid for the new tractor I just bought. :laughing:

/ Ricky Skaggs #7  
How'd you guess? LOL. Banjo & guitar + a little mandolin, dobro, and fiddle. Mostly old time and BG gospel. Getting old and arthritis is creeping into the hands so I don't play regularly any more--chops have mostly gone south by now. Back in the day (70's and 80's) I might have been a 4 or 5 on a scale of 10, with 'what's a banjo?' as 1 and J.D. Crowe as 10. Still have my 1938 Mastertone top tension with custom 5-string neck, though. I probably should sell it--it would likely have paid for the new tractor I just bought. :laughing:

Now that you mention instrument prices, I bet the J-45 Gibson Flat Top Guitar that My Dad left me is worth a dollar or two. It was made Pre WW11. I had rather play it than any new guitar I have played. Ken Sweet

/ Ricky Skaggs
Just an update - - it was a great program. Glad I went. My only comment would be that the Skaggs family & the band, Kentucky Thunder make great bluegrass music. Somehow its not the same hearing them do 'White Christmas' & 'Jingle Bells'. I would have been a lot happier with an all gospel program - - but it was a Christmas Program so, what did I expect.
Still glad I went - - wish they'd come back & do the program I want.

Jack

/ Ricky Skaggs #9  
Just an update - - it was a great program. Glad I went. My only comment would be that the Skaggs family & the band, Kentucky Thunder make great bluegrass music. Somehow its not the same hearing them do 'White Christmas' & 'Jingle Bells'. I would have been a lot happier with an all gospel program - - but it was a Christmas Program so, what did I expect.
Still glad I went - - wish they'd come back & do the program I want.

Jack

Ouch. I think I'd feel the same way, Jack. I like Christmas music (if only they wouldn't start playing it in October in the mall!) but I'm with you, leave the popular seasonal music to people like Bing Crosby & Mannheim Steamroller, and stick with good 'ol BG and Gospel if you're a BG/Gospel band. There are a few Christmas bluegrass tunes, but not enough for a whole stage show.

/ Ricky Skaggs #10  

Take it easy on me...there is a show called "American Pickers" and they mostly buy junk for profit. :D

I have a early 1930ish Vega Tubaphone, and I picked banjo for years, but switched off to my Martin entry level guitar. I have spent a couple of years now working on "classical gas" which I pick with banjo picks.

I might put Bele Fleck or John Hickman as my 10. I like lots of melodic and chromatic stuff, so Bill Keith would rank high to me as well.