Riding mowers with Tuff Torq K72 or K92 (or K90) transaxles-other than JD X500s/X700s

/ Riding mowers with Tuff Torq K72 or K92 (or K90) transaxles-other than JD X500s/X700s #11  
my JD X540 has an internal screen / filter but nothing external. You have to remove the mower deck and drain the transaxle to change this filter. Reccomended change interval is every 200 or 250 hrs.

/ Riding mowers with Tuff Torq K72 or K92 (or K90) transaxles-other than JD X500s/X700s #12  
my JD X540 has an internal screen / filter but nothing external. You have to remove the mower deck and drain the transaxle to change this filter. Reccomended change interval is every 200 or 250 hrs.

But you can get to it without cracking open the transaxle case, correct? According to the diagrams I've seen, you can access it via a cap at the front bottom of the transaxle. So, while internal, it is externally accessible. The attached image from the current JD x540 product page

JD x540 transaxle filter.jpg

As far as I know, all of the K46 and K58 transaxles are sealed and you have to open the case to get to the filters with the exception of a magnet attached to the filler plug. On the K57 and K66, external filter access is an option, on the K72 it is standard (although it appears that Deere did, an implementer can request it be deleted), and on the K92 they don't state the availability, but I would guess it would be standard as it appears to use an actual external filter like the Hydro Gear G730 does.

Last edited:
   / Riding mowers with Tuff Torq K72 or K92 (or K90) transaxles-other than JD X500s/X700s #13  
yes it can be removed via the cap in the diagram. External to me means exposed and accessible without removing covers. Guess we need to get our terminology straight :)

/ Riding mowers with Tuff Torq K72 or K92 (or K90) transaxles-other than JD X500s/X700s #14  
Interestingly, while I used the term externally accessible, Tuff Torq's transaxle comparison chart actually calls all those filters external oil filters. At least we are on same page now. :thumbsup: