Right size disk

/ Right size disk #1  

wkg2013

Tractor
John Deere 4410
I have a JD 4410. What size disc can I pull

/ Right size disk #2  
Start here:

You size Disc Harrows by pan diameter first, because that is where the weight is, then choose width and pan spacing depending on your primary task.

Penetration is better with 9" pan spacing, smoothing is better with 7-1/2" pan spacing.

You can smooth with an implement weight of ~37 pounds bearing on each pan. To cut/penetrate requires ~50 pounds implement weight on each pan. Unfortunately, you must pay for every pound.

Last edited:
   / Right size disk #3  
John Deere 4410 Weight2,900 lbs
1315 kg
Max Drawbar:562 lbs
254 kg
Max front axle:1,588 lbs
720 kg
Max rear axle:4,410 lbs
2000 kg
Dimensions
Wheelbase:68 inches
172 cm
Length:117 inches
297 cm
Width:50 inches
127 cm
Ground clearance:13.4 inches
34 cm
Mechanical
Chassis:4x4 MFWD 4WD
John Deere 4410 Power
Engine (gross):34.6 hp
25.8 kW

Last edited:
   / Right size disk #4  
Questions:

1) Are your rear tires inflated with air or filled with liquid?

2) Are you seeking max penetration, which calls for a disk with 9" pan spacing? (food plots, fire breaks)

3) Will you be smoothing plow furrows, which calls for a disk with 7" pan spacing? (field work)

Seven inch pan spacing gives more float/less penetration; smoother output behind the disk. You may have to wait for days with optimal soil moisture to cut with seven inch pan spacing. Fortunately, most food plot seeds are strong germinators.

Last edited:
   / Right size disk #5  
Jeff is our TBN technical guy. I have probably a size up or so CUT than yours and found a EA 66” 18” pans disc harrow. It feels and pulls too small for me so I would say you’d be ok up to somewhere in the low 60’s inches.

And, welcome to TBN!

/ Right size disk #6  
Something to consider is soil type. Sand your disc will sink to the hubs and pull hard vs hard soil where it could take several passes to get 6 inches deep.

I pull a 54” with 20” blades with my tractor that weighs around 2500 lbs loaded ag tires. In plowed ground traction is the issue before power.

/ Right size disk #7  
Weight will be your friend. As it is with most ground engagement implements. I have a Land Pride set of disks. It's a DH1048 and weighs - 420 pounds. With twelve disks that's 35# per disk.

I have found it to be WORTHLESS in my conditions here. It barely leaves scrape marks as I drag it around.

I'm planning on upgrading to something like a Brown set of disks. Nine feet wide and 1200 pounds. This will be somewhere around 65# to 70# per disk.

In the REALLY tough conditions - first hit the land with my moldboard plow. Followed by the disks.

My 80 acres is all virgin land and can be a tough nut to crack.

I've found that even a rototiller has a tough time.

I want to break my few fields with implements that DO NOT require a PTO. The entire PTO system just seems to rough on equipment. The continual vibration, bouncing - not something I appreciate.

/ Right size disk
Thanks for the Info. I want to disc up a 3 Acre field that has been tilled for 2 years in a row but not for 2 years. The ground is hard clay. So, given my tractor specs and the ground I need towork, what would be a good recomendación for a disc harrow

/ Right size disk #9  
Thanks for the Info. I want to disc up a 3 Acre field that has been tilled for 2 years in a row but not for 2 years. The ground is hard clay. So, given my tractor specs and the ground I need towork, what would be a good recomendación for a disc harrow

Are your rear tires inflated with air or filled with liquid?

Rather than buy a light Disc Harrow with 18" diameter pans for this task, which will not be very effective working clay, can you prevail on whoever tilled (presumably roto-tilled) this land two years ago, to roto-till it again? Disc Harrows and PTO powered roto-tillers are both soil mixing implements producing 90% the same output.

Optimally you will seed the same day your plot is tilled, to give your food plot seed the best chance to compete with the naturally selected grass. If you wait several days or a week before sowing seed, the natuarally selected grass will come roaring back, overwhelming your seed.

Buying a light Disc Harrow for preparing a food plot of 1-2-3 acres on hard clay does not make sense to me.

I would still like to know what size disc harrow I should get to go behind JD 4410 4 wd?

Are your Deere's rear tires inflated with air or filled with liquid?

Is your Deere equipped with R1/ag tires or R4/industrial tires?

In what state are you located?

/ Right size disk #10  
Just get one that is heavy made. This one is a Ford. Tuffline is made like it. There's a few brands.

Attachments

• IMG_20220715_160103.jpg
    IMG_20220715_160103.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 66