Right to repair, Why I don't want a new tractor.

/ Right to repair, Why I don't want a new tractor. #3  
It sounds like this is all about government emissions regulations. Since all manufacturers are subject to the same rules there, I don't see "other brands" offering any solution to the problem. I bleed green, and the only way that I would change brands would be at gunpoint. My grandad bought the first tractor on our farm in 1950 (A John Deere model M) to replace a team of horses. My dad still uses that to plow his garden every spring and nothing has ever broken on it that we could not repair ourselves, sometimes with a little help from neighbors. I am very thankful that I bought my only new tractor (A John Deere model 4120) back in 2005, before all this emissions BS. The only repair that it has needed was a new starter, to replace the OEM Bosch, which failed after about 5 years of service. The aftermarket "Powerstrike" starter, that I put on it 10 years ago, is still going strong.

/ Right to repair, Why I don't want a new tractor.
This has no margin. When does you're smart house become the property of some one else? What do we OWN? I'm almost glad i'll be dead in 15 years: At least some of the old stuff, will still be around. 20 years from now, god help you to even find a Wash/Dryer combo that isn't dependent on the internet. There is going to be a divide. "They Own it," or "You Own it."

/ Right to repair, Why I don't want a new tractor. #5  
Remember when you would buy a computer and it came with software packages? This wasn't long ago. You owned it and the software. You were not connected to the Internet with constant updates. And then licenses. This is BS. I like old tech stand alone systems. Computers, vehicles and tractors. The consumer has the power to change this. Don't buy into it. I know. Easier said than done. At least tell them how you feel. At dealerships and tradeshows. Take that smile off their face, peddling their garbage.

/ Right to repair, Why I don't want a new tractor. #6  
I think a lot of manufacturers will go this way. Once a "big" manufacturer heads this direction and gets away with it, others will soon follow. All about the $$$. Microsoft is big into this. Take a look at the license agreements for Office 365. Cool software, but you're forever buying the opportunity to use their software. What JD and others are doing though is essentially selling you the right to use their equipment. They got a good deal going, where you pay a huge upfront cost, and then you're forced to pay recurring right to use fee every time you need a software update due to a repair. They can always cook up some rationale as to why this is "better" for the customer. Hard to swallow though, when you look at what JD is charging for their equipment and combine that with a potential lifetime of recurring fees.

/ Right to repair, Why I don't want a new tractor. #7  
Wouldn't it be grand to see third party vendors that would strip any proprietary software off a tractor, converting it to some open source configuration. I am interested in buying a piece of equipment, not providing an on-going revenue stream to the manufacturer.

/ Right to repair, Why I don't want a new tractor. #8  
You can thank SAS for this... every year you have to pay for the license to use it, they were the first and it made Mr. Goodnight very rich. Now everyone wants to join in. I keep my old computers (and programs) around just in case I need to return to them. Waiting for the time "they" figure how to disable them!!!

Wish for back in the day of Word Perfect and Lotus 123.... Harvard Graphics and Photoshop 3.1.

/ Right to repair, Why I don't want a new tractor. #9  
So, the video is a someone "representing" the "right to repair" group reading a letter from someone we never see and don't know who they really are. I would assume it is not a Deere employee as I assume they are in litigation about this(?). I really wonder about the credibility this video gives to the whole picture.:confused3:

/ Right to repair, Why I don't want a new tractor. #10  
I'll just keep on running and rebuilding my Pre 4 tractors. No issue with me. I'm color blind anyway.