Right To Repair

/ Right To Repair
Some interesting comments from John Deere's chief technology officer;
John Deere turned tractors into computers — what’s next?

All the best,

Peter
I glommed through the first half of the article (morning was a long time ago today); interesting read, I will be going back through it in detail.

My tired reaction (often trustworthy)....... reminds me of the multi-decade cycle we've been through with cell phones..... took a while to see that we (the customer) are the product, not the phone....

Next thought.... Who owns the Data.... I've been asking that for 30 years, and it's getting more relevant (or irrelevant, depending on your mindset) every year.

(Not directly related to JD, but concerning data-harvesting.... stumbled across this by accident today, leaving work. Search Settings on an Android phone for Wi-fi Scanning - you'll find 2 sub-level switches BELOW the Wifi Off level, that allows system apps to harvest Wifi and Bluetooth data ANY time.)

I will go back through that article in detail, at least once. I'm interested to see what he says directly about the service war going on.

I know something about how difficult it is getting a competent diesel mechanic for hire today. Small wonder old tractor prices are going through the roof.

Planting through Harvesting..... not a lot of time left, to get a Masters in CompSci, just to service a combine.....

Rgds, D.

/ Right To Repair
   / Right To Repair #8  
JD's next step is to refuse to provide parts, like Apple currently has started doing.

And then 3rd party companies open up shop to support you. Seen this in Ag products already.

/ Right To Repair #9  
I know something about how difficult it is getting a competent diesel mechanic for hire today. Small wonder old tractor prices are going through the roof.

Planting through Harvesting..... not a lot of time left, to get a Masters in CompSci, just to service a combine.....

Rgds, D.

My machine is a 1981 model. Totally restored to BETTER than new by the UTDA. No computer junk, nor regen stuff. In fact, it can run on straight peanut oil or other similar bio-diesel like oils too.

And, these tractors are still being converted to better than new and are available.

They have machines from 15Hp up to 40Hp.

Yanmar Tractors — Events at Fredricks Outdoor

And a southeastern dealer network in the USA.
Dealer Locator — Fredricks Importing

Who needs the BS of Right-to-Repair, just boycott them and get a previous generation machine rebuilt to better than new.

My YM2610 is really a JD850 with PowerShift (automatic like transmission). These come in 4WD and have cabs and loaders too. :)

I was following the Nebraska Right-To-Repair hearings early this year.
Agricultural equipment right-to-repair bill considered

LB543, introduced by Sen. Tom Brandt of Plymouth, would require original equipment manufacturers to make available, on fair and reasonable terms, the documentation, parts and tools needed to diagnose, maintain or repair electronics-enabled agricultural equipment to independent mechanics or the equipment’s owner.

Violating the act — which would apply to equipment sold or in use in Nebraska on or after its effective date — would be an unlawful practice under the state Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

This state is CRITICAL. Should this pass, the whole mid-west would follow suit thereafter.

/ Right To Repair
JD's next step is to refuse to provide parts, like Apple currently has started doing.
I've never bought an Apple product, and wouldn't buy Green if I was in the market today. Lots of people don't do as I do though....

Rgds, D.