Righty loosey

/ Righty loosey #1  

chas0218

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT235E
So I just came up on my 200 hour service and I start looking things over checking bolt tightness and other things. I noticed my rear backhoe subframe bolts look loose. I figure no big deal as I haven't had the hoe on in a while. I grab my torque wrench and set it to 60lbs. first working up to 100 ft.lbs. well once I hit 80 I had 1 let loose. I can't remember now what the max torque was but I think it was around 120 ft. lbs.

Now what the heck am I going to do? I needed the hoe this weekend now I have a stripped bolt and out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

/ Righty loosey #2  
How much of the bolt is sticking out? Any?
You can spot weld a wash and nut to the broken bolt and back it out. The heat from the weld usually heats it up enough to make it loose.

If no welder then:

Harbor Freight or Amazon overnight.
Center punch
Left hand twist drill bits
Drill it out and use an extractor to back it out.

Hope that works for you.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Righty loosey
How much of the bolt is sticking out? Any?
You can spot weld a wash and nut to the broken bolt and back it out. The heat from the weld usually heats it up enough to make it loose.

If no welder then:

Harbor Freight or Amazon overnight.
Center punch
Left hand twist drill bits
Drill it out and use an extractor to back it out.

Hope that works for you.
Well it isn't broken off just no threads left in the casting of the tractor for the bolt to engage. I need to see if the bolt hole is deeper and maybe I can get away with a longer bolt. Really sucks as I don't have many hours on the tractor.

/ Righty loosey #4  
Well it isn't broken off just no threads left in the casting of the tractor for the bolt to engage. I need to see if the bolt hole is deeper and maybe I can get away with a longer bolt. Really sucks as I don't have many hours on the tractor.
Is there thick enough casting to drill it out and put in a heli-coil?

/ Righty loosey #5  
Can you use a bottoming tap and re-thread it one size up...ream the hole in the hoe and get a new bolt...

/ Righty loosey
Looks like there is a lot more thread deeper in the hole. I got a longer bolt and added a couple washers. Tightened it up to 100 ft.lbs. without issues but don't think i want to go to the 150. Any thoughts on going to the 150 ft. Lbs.? I dont think it is needed with the loctite.