Rivet Nuts

/ Rivet Nuts #11  
I've set up to 3/8" by hand tool. Like others have said, the object is not to totally crush them. Once the crush collar is flat ... it's done ... but it can be hard to keep the tool straight while compressing the larger sizes. I haven't done 3/8" SS, depending on the alloy that could be difficult I imagine. If it's an area where it's likely to see corrosion you might want to use some kind of thread locker, or bearing locker on the outside of the rivet nut before you insert it, just some insurance that it won't spin the future. Or even put on a couple of tack welds.
Someday I'd like to find a hex broaching tool and try using some hex rivet nuts, no chance they will ever spin in the hole.

/ Rivet Nuts #12  
It's not hard to set a 3/8 riv-nut with a high grade 3/8 bolt, a 3/8 nut, a washer, some oil and two wrenches. Use oil on the bolt threads to make it easier to turn the nut.

/ Rivet Nuts #13  
Hey, U can simply use an appropriate bolt/nut combination and while holding the nut pull up the insert with a proper wrench.

Works better to hold the bolt and turn the nut on a washer. Doesn't work the riv-nut threads.

/ Rivet Nuts #14  
Works better to hold the bolt and turn the nut on a washer. Doesn't work the riv-nut threads.

This also reduces the likelihood of spinning the riv-nut as it seats. You are only turning the nut not the bolt.
Big down side, even if you can get a ratchet wrench in the nut, it is a slow process. Not too big a deal, if just doing a few! But if doing it for 30 mins or all day, it is tiring!

/ Rivet Nuts #15  
Well, I learned about rivnuts today... Thanks guys!.

/ Rivet Nuts #16  
I've loved the idea of rivnuts for quite a while, only just ordered a 1/4-20 rivnut tool and a box of 100 steel rivnuts two weeks ago from Amazon. I've got a small project in mind for them instead of my usual go-to which is welding a nut on the backside of something to screw into.

Now that I have it in my hands (it's identical to the OP's pic) I'd probably just make my own. That said, I'll eventually end up with the large rivnut gun. For as often as I'm planning to use it, the gun style would last me forever.

/ Rivet Nuts #18  
I have inserted a bunch lately including 3/8" rivnuts, all steel. My procedure is a bit different: 1 -drill the hole for the rivnut a bit smaller than the smooth rivnut body (assuming you do not have the proper odd-sized drill bit), 2 -use a dremel with a fine carbide burr to open the hole up a tad so the smooth body is a light interference fit, 3 tap the rivnut into the hole, 4 - get a grade 8 bolt for the rivnut you are using and grease the threads, 5 - place onto the bolt a grade 8 nut or two (same size as the bolt), a couple of washers and finally a nut that just slides over the bolt threads, 6 - thread this assembly into the rivnut you inserted, 7 - while holding the big nut with a socket wrench tighten down the smaller nut(s) with another socket wrench while keeping everything square to the base plate. Do not overtighten! After doing 1 or two they go quick. :thumbsup: