Rivet setting on a sickle bar mower

/ Rivet setting on a sickle bar mower #1  

oddodaoddo

Tractor
None
Hello, I am new to haying. I bought a used TSK Superior (a.k.a. Gribaldi 2401) 7ft sickle bar mower (I have a 1970 Massey 150 to run it with). Both the guard bar and the cutter bar on this mower are mobile, powered by separate power heads that move opposite to each other. Here is where I get parts from - has a diagram of the "old style" mower that I own): Gribaldi:Sickle Bar Mower:Series GS241 Superior:GS241 Cutter Bar-Old Style

After I bought the mower, it lost two guard teeth while mowing for the first time. They attach via rivets to the power head - I ordered the rivets and the new teeth from the manufacturer.

However, being new to this, I am not sure how to set the rivets. I bought one of those tungsten bucking bars to put on one end of the rivet and just used a sledge hammer on the other end of it, to flatten it. However, when I start mowing, after 15-20 minutes of running through a field, the rivets just pop/break.

How is this done properly? What tool(s) do I need? I am attaching a photo of the setup. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 283
   / Rivet setting on a sickle bar mower
Oh wow, thank you so much!!!!!

/ Rivet setting on a sickle bar mower #4  
I always just used a vice and a ball peen hammer. It worked for me.

/ Rivet setting on a sickle bar mower #5  
Have you considered utilizing bolts designed to attach sickle head/sections in lieu of rivets?

/ Rivet setting on a sickle bar mower
Have you considered utilizing bolts designed to attach sickle head/sections in lieu of rivets?

No - I have never heard of these (I am new to the game). Where does one get these? The place that sells the spare parts for my particular mower (there are only two places in the States, this thing is Italian made), does not seem to carry them. I am sure any bolt of proper size would fit but I would not even know what to search for.

/ Rivet setting on a sickle bar mower #7  
No - I have never heard of these (I am new to the game). Where does one get these? The place that sells the spare parts for my particular mower (there are only two places in the States, this thing is Italian made), does not seem to carry them. I am sure any bolt of proper size would fit but I would not even know what to search for.

I am not aware of an Ez-Bolt replacement for metric spec rivets. Be aware that if you do change to bolts your hold downs need clearance for the nuts.

/ Rivet setting on a sickle bar mower #8  
From what I can recall back up the rivet with some solid steel and use a ball peen hammer. You can finish off by by using a set punch to shape the head.

That was sixty years back.

/ Rivet setting on a sickle bar mower #9  
Wow, looks like you got angry at it. :eek: Don't forget to replace those grease fittings too.

Are the rivets countersunk on the other side? Let's see the rivet(s) you're trying to set. Typically they are NOT set flat. You don't just beat on them with a hammer. They won't hold as you've found out. The holding side(s) should be domed. I've set so many rivets on old car frames, I own many rivet sets and an air rivet hammer. These aren't the Horrible Freight air hammers, they were made to set rivets. Mine will set a 3/8" steel rivet in seconds.

Without the proper rivet setting tools, use one of the type pictured by Bruce (bcp), if it fits. However, they don't look like they have the clearance depth for your application. OR, have someone else set the rivets. You're crapping-out your equipment. :rolleyes:

/ Rivet setting on a sickle bar mower #10  
I am not aware of an Ez-Bolt replacement for metric spec rivets. Be aware that if you do change to bolts your hold downs need clearance for the nuts.

I think especially in this application clip hold downs won't be a problem. I know JD offers metric section attaching bolts & I'll bet there are other sources for metric bolts/nuts. I don't know if correct diameter bolts are available for this application.

CQ33763 - KNURLED HEAD SCREW M6 X 30 ADD 1.47 USD

Update: I just checked & Shoup offers metric bolts for sickle bars also

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-09-04 091622.png
    Annotation 2020-09-04 091622.png
    703.1 KB · Views: 244
  • Annotation 2020-09-04 094950.png
    Annotation 2020-09-04 094950.png
    275.8 KB · Views: 288
Last edited: