RK 24 H TRANSMISSION/HYDRAULIC FLUID TYPE

/ RK 24 H TRANSMISSION/HYDRAULIC FLUID TYPE #1  

RickDpwv

Tractor
Rural King RK24H
I am new to the Forum, and tractors in general, and recently purchased a RK 24 H. I am very pleased thus far with the tractor (only 5 hours), but not the Operator's Manual. It is poorly translated to English, mixing up words like filter and filler.
I'm a decent shade-tree mechanic, but have found at least two issues in the manual that I would appreciate if someone could clarify for me.
1. The Manual state to use API GL-4 Grade, Gear Oil 80W (pg 5-11) in the Transmission, but the local Rural King mechanic said to use Harvest King Premium, Trans-Hydraulic Oil, Multi-Trac Formula. Which is correct?.
2. The manual states to open the Vent plugs on the front axle after changing fluid, to allow fluid to run into final drives (pg 5-17) but I can find no image referencing the vents. Anyone know what they may be referring to?
I understand PDF manuals will soon be available on-line. Hopefully they will address some of the strange phrasing used in the printed translation. It would be great if it included part numbers for consumables (filters/fluids) and torque specifications for maintenance. Thanks, in advance for your response(s).

/ RK 24 H TRANSMISSION/HYDRAULIC FLUID TYPE #2  
IMHO You will need the Rural King mechanic and store manager to put that in writing. (And maybe make a video of it on your phone)
2 months ago I asked at Rural King and was led over to the CAM2 PROMAX Tractor Hydraulic 303 Oil and was told that's what they use in the service area for the RK24. Then I read the following:
303 Fluid.jpg
Not wanting to take any chances with warranty claims, I bought gear oil that specified it was API GL-4 80W gear oil. Cost more but how many times will you be changing your front axle gear oil at every 500 hours?

As for the second question:
I think the vent plugs are the Fill/Level Plugs on the upper side of the axle.
RK24 Axel Fill.JPG

Last edited:
   / RK 24 H TRANSMISSION/HYDRAULIC FLUID TYPE #3  
Reading your first question again, I notice that the manual calls for (API GL-4 Grade) Tractor transmission and hydraulic oil and recommends RK universal tractor fluid. But, for the front axle they spec "Gear Oil" at either #80 or #90 I'm not an engineer, but there is a difference between gear oil and hydraulic oil. So the way I read it they are specifying one type of fluid for the transmission and another type of fluid for the front axle. Not sure, but I use the 2 different fluids in my RK24. Maybe someone on the forum can explain the reason. It's too specifically referenced as different to be a translation issue IMHO. Here is the page in the RK24 manual that I'm looking at. Page 5-11
View attachment 596240

/ RK 24 H TRANSMISSION/HYDRAULIC FLUID TYPE
Just to clarify, my manual (page 5-11) shows a table listing recommended "Lubricants for the Radiator, Engine, Transmission, Front Axle, Front axle pivot pin, and Fuel Tank. The table specifies the transmission to use "(API GL-4 Grade, Gear Oil 80W) -3.83 US gal". It specifies the Front Axle to use "(API GL-4 Grades) Gear oil #80 or #90 - 0.85 US gal". The only difference I see in these two listings is the front axle also allows use of 90 weight gear oil. I do see beneath the table that Rural King Recommends universal tractor fluid for the Transmission oil, but doesn't that conflict with the table entry for the transmission?

OK - just thought about checking for the online PDF Manual on Rural King's website and they are now up! Page 5-11 of the paper manual I received at the store on Monday does not agree with the online PDF manual. My paper manual shows to use Gear Oil and the PDF version states to use Tractor transmission and hydraulic oil. OhioCowboy, I now understand your response. I guess my problem now is which manual do I use to keep from having warranty issues?

/ RK 24 H TRANSMISSION/HYDRAULIC FLUID TYPE #7  
Rick, I agree. I'm looking at the date & time stamp at the bottom of page 5-11 in the PDF manual.

It is: 2018-12-11 08:08:01

No idea for sure what format they are using for date (is it Nov 12 or Dec 11? Not important for our discussion.)

Do you have a date on the printed manual you received with your tractor?

pg 5-11_2.JPG

OhioCowboy, no I do not. I have searched through the Operator's Manual and find no references to any date. The manual did come in a sealed, clear plastic, envelope with the Loader Operator's Manual which has a June 2018 print date. While searching for a date my attention was drawn to a statement on the 2nd page of my printed manual stating, "All information, illustrations and specifications in this manual are based on latest information available at the time of publication. The right is reserved to make changes at any time without notice." Gotta assume this allows RK to make changes in maintenance fluids without informing their customers?? Maybe RK Tractor Guy can throw some light on this issue. I just want to what I should be putting in the transmission.

/ RK 24 H TRANSMISSION/HYDRAULIC FLUID TYPE #9  
RickD, I agree. I know that it's very difficult to find GL-4 gear oil for the front axle. Doing a search of GL-4 vs GL-5 gear oil presents a ton of discussions about the differences. It goes from "it will destroy your differential" to "GL-5 is an improved GL-4". Personally, until the warranty is up, when I do my own maintenance fluid changes I'm going to use GL-4 gear oil for the front axle . I'll use the RK Universal Tractor Fluid or a synthetic tractor transmission and hydraulic oil if it meets the specs in the PDF manual. Unfortunately the RK Universal Tranny and Hyd oil did not say it met GL-4. I think RK should carry a fluid that lists their own tractor on it. Or their manual should list a spec we can find on the fluids they do carry. Even if it has to be IH, JD, MF or NH.

These are the tranny and front axle fluid specs listed in the PDF manual I downloaded from RK:

Transmission (3.83 gal)
(API GL-4 Grade) Tractor transmission and hydraulic oil
Below -4ºF(-20ºC) ISO VG32
Above -4ºF(-20ºC) between ISO VG46 and 68
Front Axle (.85 gal)
(API GL-4 Grade) Gear oil #80 or #90

/ RK 24 H TRANSMISSION/HYDRAULIC FLUID TYPE #10  
Rick, here's the Rural King fluids listed under RK24H maintenance on their website (rktractors.com) for transmission and front axle:

Transmission
Transdraulic Fluid H.k. Univ (SKU 3261927) Current Price $22.49/2 gal

Front Axle
(Do Not use the Universal Trans/Hydraulic Fluid in the front axle as you were told!)
Gear Lube Mp Sae80/90wt (SKU 3261053) Current Price $3.99/Qt

This is the website p/n & price list.
Parts for the 50 hour service are $120. (3 filters & oils)
Engine oil filter
Hydraulic filter-HST
Hydraulic filter-Gear
Engine oil
Transmission oil
Axle oil
RK labor only for the 50 hour service is an additional $180 at their store. Plus, if necessary, tractor transport costs to & from RK.

Parts & Prices
RK24 Maint.jpg

50 Hour Service
RK24 50 hr serv.jpg