RK24 50hr Maintenance - Step-By-Step Procedure (w/ Shopping List & Pictures)

/ RK24 50hr Maintenance - Step-By-Step Procedure (w/ Shopping List & Pictures)
The "Service Area" at most Rural King stores (I think) is the area where they service small engines. This area, from what I've seen, is nowhere NEAR what is needed to service tractors, even small ones. I'm hoping these are just growing pains and RK is going to work on this and get better/bigger shops set up with more/better trained techs. I'm not holding my breath, though. As I've said before, I'm comfortable working on my own equipment, so it doesn't bother me TOO much.

/ RK24 50hr Maintenance - Step-By-Step Procedure (w/ Shopping List & Pictures) #12  
indeed the so called service area is intact a small engine repair area in the back of the store stock area, it is very dimly lit and is akin to pulling your tractor into a very crowded dark under equipped garage to do what you can.
I get the distinct impression from talking to the tech and walking around the space that no major work is actually performed there and is actually shipped out to another facility.
It appears that I will be learning to do more of the work myself or seek an independent facility when needed, from what I know of Rural King and most other stores of it's kind they are where they will be in the years to come, this makes it imperative that we all know these are rebadged TYM and that parts can be sourced as such.
All of that being said I really do like the tractor it just is what it is from there.

/ RK24 50hr Maintenance - Step-By-Step Procedure (w/ Shopping List & Pictures) #13  
At our local RK the shop is located on the side of the store next to the fenced in area where they store the watering tanks, fence panels and various other large outdoor items for sale inside the store.

The tech told me he is not allowed to store/put/park any equipment inside that fenced in area. He moves mowers he needs to fix outside each morning to make space inside his shop so he can work. Anything that will not fit inside the shop at night has to be left outside - UNSECURED - since he is not allowed to move it inside the locked, secured fenced in area right next to the shop. If it rains during the day, anything outside gets rained on. That was one of the reasons he sent me to another shop ... he said he would have to leave our zero-turn outside because his shop was already full.

This is one of the reasons I think the shop is actually his and that he has some sort of contract to be the RK shop ... not owned by the store and operated by them.

/ RK24 50hr Maintenance - Step-By-Step Procedure (w/ Shopping List & Pictures) #14  
That is an angle that I had not considered but it would explain a lot, all of these things things would make me nervous of leaving $18,000 dollars worth of tractor with them for service. Hopefully RK will at some point commit to a real tractor shop rather than trying to do tractor service out of a small engine shop, especially considering that the RK 37,55 and the 74 are good sized tractor.

/ RK24 50hr Maintenance - Step-By-Step Procedure (w/ Shopping List & Pictures) #15  
Same grip from me as well

/ RK24 50hr Maintenance - Step-By-Step Procedure (w/ Shopping List & Pictures) #16  
Guy's,
I just finished my 50 hour service save one item that leaves me needing your help, on the front drain bolts are old style square shoulder bolts and every wrench or socket that I have does not fit securely and I am afraid of rounding the shoulders.
Any suggestions on best wrench to use.
Thanks in advance.

/ RK24 50hr Maintenance - Step-By-Step Procedure (w/ Shopping List & Pictures) #17  
I
Guy's,
I just finished my 50 hour service save one item that leaves me needing your help, on the front drain bolts are old style square shoulder bolts and every wrench or socket that I have does not fit securely and I am afraid of rounding the shoulders.
Any suggestions on best wrench to use.
Thanks in advance.
I used flat jawed vice grips in one of mine that wouldn't hold a wrench

/ RK24 50hr Maintenance - Step-By-Step Procedure (w/ Shopping List & Pictures) #18  
Thank's for t he help.

/ RK24 50hr Maintenance - Step-By-Step Procedure (w/ Shopping List & Pictures)
I used an open-end wrench on mine. I don't remember if it was English or metric, or what size. I just tried different ones until I found the tightest fit.

/ RK24 50hr Maintenance - Step-By-Step Procedure (w/ Shopping List & Pictures) #20  
Thank's for the help, I have tried both and thus far nothing feels right but it could be that the undercoating is deceiving me a little, I will see if I just need to be more aggressive in getting the wrench/ socket on without tearing up the bolt.
Thanks again.