RK24 Improvements

/ RK24 Improvements #1  

snymat68

Platinum Member
Tractor
RK24H, Gravely 8123
Here are some things I added to my RK24 over the weekend. :):dance1::)

Mirror
Tool Box For Chains
Caddy for FM Headphones

The mirror is an ATV mirror purchased from Rural King. I ended up tack welding a 4" piece of steel pipe to the side of the loader frame to mount it where I wanted it.
The location works perfectly, clearing both the hood when it's up and the loader arm when it's up. Since it's just 2 small tacks, it's easy to remove if I ever want to.
The pipe is painted to match and wrapped with rubber tape to provide a grippy clamping surface. (FYI Rustoleum Sunrise Red is a perfect match to the RK red color.)

The tool box is just an ammo box from Harbor Freight. I cut the carry handles off to keep them from rattling.
I drilled two holes in it and bolted it to the side of the loader control valve frame using two of the existing bolts.
I added a backer inside to keep the bolts from ripping out with heavy chains in the box.
Waterproof, and required no modification to the tractor.

The headphone caddy is fashioned from half of a Harbor Freight magnetic paper towel holder.
I just popped off two of the three magnets, trimmed the sheet metal with tin snips, bent it to shape, and painted it to match.
It hangs right on the loader frame without drilling any holes and keeps the headphones within easy reach.
It can't be seen in the picture, but there is still one (rubber coated) magnet on it, just below the bend, that holds it fast.

I also finally got around to throwing the roof on it momentarily to make sure it fit.
(It won't fit in my garage with the ROPS up, so this is the first time I've had the roof on.)

A note on the roof:
Apparently this is a one-size-fits-all roof for the RK tractors.
Since I purchased mine separately (not pre-installed), I had to make one quick adjustment to get it to fit on the RK24.
The brackets that bolt to the roof frame (and clamp to the ROPS) were too far apart and were hitting the curved corners of the ROPS.
They simply needed unbolted and flipped, to put them closer together. This way they clamp on the flat, top section of the ROPS.

I also took the loader and backhoe off, just to see how easy it is.
It's pretty easy. I had them both off and back on in a matter of 15 minutes.

Sorry for the sideways picture.

20190406_172648.jpg

20190403_192041.jpg

20190404_190920.jpg

20190406_172639.jpg

/ RK24 Improvements #2  
Nice job! You can say you are "officially addicted" now. You should also post your improvements in the 'customization' thread up in the general forums.

/ RK24 Improvements #3  
Here are some things I added to my RK24 over the weekend. :):dance1::)

Mirror
Tool Box For Chains
Caddy for FM Headphones

The mirror is an ATV mirror purchased from Rural King. I ended up tack welding a 4" piece of steel pipe to the side of the loader frame to mount it where I wanted it.
The location works perfectly, clearing both the hood when it's up and the loader arm when it's up. Since it's just 2 small tacks, it's easy to remove if I ever want to.
The pipe is painted to match and wrapped with rubber tape to provide a grippy clamping surface. (FYI Rustoleum Sunrise Red is a perfect match to the RK red color.)

The tool box is just an ammo box from Harbor Freight. I cut the carry handles off to keep them from rattling.
I drilled two holes in it and bolted it to the side of the loader control valve frame using two of the existing bolts.
I added a backer inside to keep the bolts from ripping out with heavy chains in the box.
Waterproof, and required no modification to the tractor.

The headphone caddy is fashioned from half of a Harbor Freight magnetic paper towel holder.
I just popped off two of the three magnets, trimmed the sheet metal with tin snips, bent it to shape, and painted it to match.
It hangs right on the loader frame without drilling any holes and keeps the headphones within easy reach.
It can't be seen in the picture, but there is still one (rubber coated) magnet on it, just below the bend, that holds it fast.

I also finally got around to throwing the roof on it momentarily to make sure it fit.
(It won't fit in my garage with the ROPS up, so this is the first time I've had the roof on.)

A note on the roof:
Apparently this is a one-size-fits-all roof for the RK tractors.
Since I purchased mine separately (not pre-installed), I had to make one quick adjustment to get it to fit on the RK24.
The brackets that bolt to the roof frame (and clamp to the ROPS) were too far apart and were hitting the curved corners of the ROPS.
They simply needed unbolted and flipped, to put them closer together. This way they clamp on the flat, top section of the ROPS.

I also took the loader and backhoe off, just to see how easy it is.
It's pretty easy. I had them both off and back on in a matter of 15 minutes.

Sorry for the sideways picture.

View attachment 599447

View attachment 599444

View attachment 599445

View attachment 599446

Nicely done. Want a job?

/ RK24 Improvements
   / RK24 Improvements #5  
Is there a different FEL for the RK24?....when I purchased mine, the bucket is affixed to the FEL arms. I was wondering if they changed the FEL out, just like on a bobcat, you can detach the bucket and put on another implement in its place. I always wanted to be able to take the FEL Bucket off and put on a snow blade in its place, but, with the rk24, the bucket is permanently attached. If so, what's the price?

/ RK24 Improvements
Is there a different FEL for the RK24?....when I purchased mine, the bucket is affixed to the FEL arms. I was wondering if they changed the FEL out, just like on a bobcat, you can detach the bucket and put on another implement in its place. I always wanted to be able to take the FEL Bucket off and put on a snow blade in its place, but, with the rk24, the bucket is permanently attached. If so, what's the price?

They made some changes/additions a little while back. There was enough demand/requests for things that they added the SSQA on the FEL and a mechanical thumb on the backhoe as standard equipment. I think they also upped the price at this time to account for the extra stuff. They also started offering a 3rd function valve for an additional cost. They don't even sell them with pin-on buckets or without thumbs any more.

I'm not sure of the process or cost associated with having any of these things added to your machine. I would suggest calling your local Rural King and asking, or sending RK Tractor Guy a message from rktractors.com

/ RK24 Improvements #7  
I just called RK, and there is a conversion kit for $700.00 that will allow me to disconnect my front bucket and put other attachment on, however, they don't offer the snow blade that I was looking to put on in the winter, so I guess for the time, I will just stay with what I have. I do have a rear blade, but I really don't like taking backhoe off and putting blade on and vice versa. I wanted to make things easier for my wife to use tractor as well.

/ RK24 Improvements #8  
I just called RK, and there is a conversion kit for $700.00 that will allow me to disconnect my front bucket and put other attachment on, however, they don't offer the snow blade that I was looking to put on in the winter, so I guess for the time, I will just stay with what I have. I do have a rear blade, but I really don't like taking backhoe off and putting blade on and vice versa. I wanted to make things easier for my wife to use tractor as well.
If you put a SSQA on it you can buy the blade wherever. It's a universal fit.

/ RK24 Improvements #9  
I have the fixed bucket as well. I will be getting upgraded to the quicktach bucket and a grapple next week. Can稚 wait!

/ RK24 Improvements #10  
If you put a SSQA on it you can buy the blade wherever. It's a universal fit.

He is correct.

You can also buy an old pickup truck plow blade and attach it to a SSQA plate which is what I am looking at. The RK24 may be too small to handle a large pickup truck blade but a smaller one could work.