Oil & Fuel RK37H oil level increasing

/ RK37H oil level increasing #1  

37HDin PA

Tractor
RK37H
I have a RK37 hydro with 68 hrs. Did my own 50hr service. I'm certain engine level was correct dealer said 5.8 qts manual says 6qts. Now oil level is 1/2 inch over full not milky rad and jug are full I think I have diesel in oil. RK guy said change oil again and monitor level has anyone else had this issue. I haven't changed oil yet.

/ RK37H oil level increasing #2  
I would think and oil change would be required at fifty hours. Change it per instructions. Fill to proper level which probably will be six quarts with a filter change. Monitor the level. If it stays the same you're good to go. If it increases it is unlikely the tractor is manufacturing oil. The most likely culprits are diesel finding its way into the crankcase or hydraulic oil going there. If it's diesel there will be a telltale smell. Since hydraulic oil is in gallons and engine oil is in quarts you may not notice a drop in hydraulic level until the engine has acquired a significant amount of the fluid. Keep a close eye on it. Too much fluid in the crankcase can cause catastrophic damage to the engine if not dealt with.

/ RK37H oil level increasing
Thanks for the info Roadworthy. I changed oil and filter at 50hr service now have 68hrs when oil level is higher doesn't smell like diesel. Talked to RK guy today he is unaware of any other complaints. This is 3rd tractor guy at my store in a year and admitted little knowledge of diesel engines. I was a GM tech for 25 yrs and did recalls on the Duramax for faulty injectors leaking fuel in oil. I'm changing oil again and going to monitor closely. I don't think I overfilled it.

/ RK37H oil level increasing #4  
I don't know who makes which models of RK. I had an older Mitsubishi (Japanese) tractor. The hydraulic pump fed off a gear at the front of the engine. If the shaft seal fails it can permit passage of hydraulic fluid from the pump to the crankcase. Mine would get full to the point it would flow out the dipstick hole when you checked oil. I had the tractor fifteen years and replaced the pump twice. I then learned I could possibly just replace the seal. I just sold the tractor as parts were getting hard to source.

/ RK37H oil level increasing #5  
To be sure, measure the amount of oil that comes out of the crankcase.

/ RK37H oil level increasing #6  
37HD, the manual is kind of confusing to say the least. If you look and the table listing capacities is shows the crankcase holding 6 quarts with filter. Yet in section 5 under maintenance it shows the service taking less than a gallon. A couple months back when I did my second service I put in just put in just under a gallon and the dipstick shows right at the full mark.

1635477415763.png

I had never noticed the table showing the 6 quarts so I have no idea which is correct. I'll have to check with the RK folks next time I'm there.

/ RK37H oil level increasing #7  
I would reduce it to the right level and see if it keeps increasing before you jump to conclusions. Maybe the excessive oil hadn’t had a chance to settle when you checked it the first time.

/ RK37H oil level increasing
Thanks guys. I'm going to drain oil measure and keep it. My store has had 3 different tractor guys in the past year. The new one said change oil every 50hrs. I showed him the maintenance chart. Next scheduled oil change at 300 hrs don't think I'd wait that long. I agree owners manual is confusing. I asked if I could buy a service manual I don't think RK is allowed to. I haven't got to it yet other chores to do without tractor. Manual says to use 10w40 cj4 mast diesel oil is 15w40 what do u guys use ?

/ RK37H oil level increasing #9  
I feel that the purpose of oil is to not only lubricate but also the additives are for rust/corrosion prevention. If you notice, the manual states every 250 hours or yearly which ever comes first.
Living in Florida where the humidity is outrageously high I try changing mine every 12 - 15 months which works out to about 100 hours. As far as the viscosity, I run the 15w40 but I don't have harsh winters where the 10w lower number would help get things flowing quicker when cold. I run Amsoil in everything I own other than my zero turn mower. I contacted Amsoil before my first service and they recommended that I wait until the tractor has at least 150 hours before switching to their oil to ensure the rings are fully seated. The Amsoil is just a preference of mine and I think any quality oil is fine.

1635531658830.png