RK37HC - PTO Shift Lever

/ RK37HC - PTO Shift Lever #1  

Ransom12227

Tractor
RK37HC
New user and rather new tractor owner only have about 10hrs so far and that means it's time for a dumb question. Is there any issue with leaving the PTO Shift Lever in the On position since you're controlling the PTO on/off with the switch and button? The lever is rather difficult to get in and out of position and it seems a little redundant.

/ RK37HC - PTO Shift Lever #2  
Are you saying that your PTO is controlled (activated) by a "shift lever" PLUS a "switch" PLUS a "button"?

If you leave the "PTO shift lever" ON, does that mean the PTO is running / turning constantly while the tractor is running?

Definitely don't want to leave PTO engaged and turning when not needed. That's a serious safety hazard and lots of people get hurt when clothes, shoe laces, etc. get caught in a PTO shaft.

/ RK37HC - PTO Shift Lever #3  
I would shift It out when not using it. It will free up more with use. It also makes it much easier to hook up a PTO shaft with it disengaged.

/ RK37HC - PTO Shift Lever #4  
Ransom, I have never noticed anything in the manual warning or addressing an issue with leaving the lever engaged. Maybe someone else knows of a reason. Only thing I see with it being engaged is that when attaching an implement the PTO shaft is locked and for me it's easier if I have the ability to turn the shaft slightly if need be to align the splines. It does seem kind of weird to have 3 different interlocks doesn't it?

/ RK37HC - PTO Shift Lever
Are you saying that your PTO is controlled (activated) by a "shift lever" PLUS a "switch" PLUS a "button"?

If you leave the "PTO shift lever" ON, does that mean the PTO is running / turning constantly while the tractor is running?

Definitely don't want to leave PTO engaged and turning when not needed. That's a serious safety hazard and lots of people get hurt when clothes, shoe laces, etc. get caught in a PTO shaft.
Correct the PTO Shift lever is just another engagement, it takes shift lever to be on, plus switch plus button for it to then spin. When just leaving the PTO Shift lever is left on nothing in spinning or engaged.

Thank you for the responses, the PTO shaft not being able to freely move is something I hadn't thought of but probably wouldn't effect me very often just going to have the rotary cutter attached, no other implements to play with...yet

/ RK37HC - PTO Shift Lever #6  
I leave mine on all the time except when hooking up any pto shaft , It makes it much easier. I wish my other tractors had that feature.

/ RK37HC - PTO Shift Lever #8  
Gunny, the two switches are the button above the ignition switch and the rotating switch is below the ignition.

1634096290869.png

The PTO lever that Ransom is talking about is to the left side of the seat.

1634096416608.png

Does seem like an over kill for safety............

/ RK37HC - PTO Shift Lever #9  
The PTO shift lever serves two purposes.

One is putting the PTO in Neutral and therefore, the shaft can be rotated easily by hand, instead of being locked by the PTO brake.

The other purpose is to change between speeds. They doesn't seem to offer that in the US on the RKs and maybe the TYMs (?), but on other countries they ( TYM in this case) offer two speeds on the PTO, the regular 540 and the Economy 540 (540E) which is a great thing to have by the way. It's not uncommon to have 3 speeds either.

/ RK37HC - PTO Shift Lever #10  
The PTO lever on the RK37HC sticks up too high. It pokes me in undesirable places when I get on and off. Leaving it in the On position helps but still sticks up too high. I released the stopper nut and screwed the knob down all the way. Better but not perfect. I would still like to have the shaft made shorter to be a couple inches below seat level.
I am tempted to leave it On permanently and remove the shaft. I can spin the shaft on my rotary mower by hand if I need to align the splines. I have not done it yet...