Rk55 forestry hardening

/ Rk55 forestry hardening #1  

agjones

Platinum Member
Tractor
Rk55HC 4n1 fel/bh, Power-Trac 1850, 425d, Terex pt30, Kubota kx033, bx1880, yanmar 8x8 dumper, Magnatrac mh5000 w/ loader, six way blade & backhoe, Dew-eze ATM72LC Slope Mower, Terramite t6 4wd, DR Power brush mower
Hi all

Recently got my new rk55 home and I am planning on doing some low grade hardening to prevent damage when I work in tight places mostly in the woods or field margins.

Other than removing the turn signals and mirrors before they get ripped off the hard way... Anyone got ideas of vulnerable areas that need protecting? Or good mount points for protection?

I'll use this thread to post mods.
Thx

20210109_145651.jpg

/ Rk55 forestry hardening #2  
The one thing I would do since you have a grapple, is to reinforce the brush guard on the tractor with expanded metal to keep those "OOPS" from punching holes in the grill! Yes I found out too late and didn't see it coming. ( A stick sticking straight out of the bank I was dropping a load of brush over).

/ Rk55 forestry hardening #3  
Hi all

Recently got my new rk55 home and I am planning on doing some low grade hardening to prevent damage when I work in tight places mostly in the woods or field margins.

Other than removing the turn signals and mirrors before they get ripped off the hard way... Anyone got ideas of vulnerable areas that need protecting? Or good mount points for protection?

I'll use this thread to post mods.
Thx

View attachment 683507

Tongue weight a bit too much for that truck?

/ Rk55 forestry hardening
Hey guys thx for the input, we're working on the grill guard for sure. I've speared a bunch of radiators over the years!

Re: tongue weight maybe a little that's what I pulled into the retired weigh station to check. F250s are a bit infamous for that sag look. Felt OK. That was the first load. Found a little better position for the hitch and ball (both adjustable). Beyond safe, I wasn't willing to fiddle too much since a weight distribution setup is en route.

The service body creates a bit of an illusion.

Feedback always welcome.
Cheers

/ Rk55 forestry hardening #6  
Tongue weight a bit too much for that truck?

Ford’s tend to sit low in the back with a load. They drop a little more than others. I’m sure it was fine.

/ Rk55 forestry hardening #7  
Lol my first reaction to the pic was F250 normal for a Ford. Used to drive me nuts on construction sites

/ Rk55 forestry hardening #8  
That small wheel well on the service body and the camera angle really exaggerate the sag. I agree with the idea of a full grill guard. I'd also take a closer look from below, to spot any wires or hoses that could use some shielding or tie-ups.

/ Rk55 forestry hardening #9  
That small wheel well on the service body and the camera angle really exaggerate the sag. I agree with the idea of a full grill guard. I'd also take a closer look from below, to spot any wires or hoses that could use some shielding or tie-ups.
A set of "Airlift" bags would work wonders for that truck!

/ Rk55 forestry hardening
A set of "Airlift" bags would work wonders for that truck!
Thx gang! We're considering bagging the rear of the truck. The service body definitely lends to the illusion... It rides and handles well... Even though it looks out of trim all the time.

On the tractor here's what I'm doing...will post pics.

-Skid plate mounted below to protect the loader hydraulics and the filters.

-Shin guards for the steering cylinder/rod ends

-Remove the mirrors, front turn signals

-moving the windshield washer fluid inside the cab, I mean wth... Its current placement is clearly an afterthought.

Still looking for a solution to protect the plastic cab top and glass corners.