Road Work

/ Road Work
Just wondering how many yards and how thick did you spread it. Some of my prior pictures of my drive looks like yours, washed out. Jon

So far 3 truck/transfer loads or about 65 tons, with one more to come. The cover is on the thin side for now, 1-1/2" or so, and I can see the north end went too light. We got more done that Saturday than I anticipated and only the first load of rock had been delivered on Friday. So I was anxious to get all the fresh dirt evenly covered at least. The next two loads went down a bit heavier on the south portion.

Forecast calls for 1"-2" of rain Wednesday/Thursday so I suspect I'll be doing some touch-up in several soft spots on Sunday and topping off with another load of gravel a week or so later after we see a few dry days in succession. That should get me through the summer and I'll evaluate again in the fall.

/ Road Work #13  
What kind of rock are you using? I use 57s on flat parts of my mile-long drive with crusher-run on the steep hills. And water is the enemy. All of the flat parts of my drive last a long time - with maybe a pothole or two. But the hills are tough. The steep roads are cut into the sides of hills and have a "sort-of" ditch on the uphill side - lined with some 2 inch stone for the most part. But even with crowning the drive - difficult at best - traffic presses down stone in strips and those strips wash out into small ditches with heavy rains. Right now all I can do is just run up and down with my box blade and/or ratchet-rake lightly to fill in the ditches until the next rain. I'm thinking of laying in some crushed asphalt on the steepest sections. But it's a never-ending battle.

/ Road Work
What kind of rock are you using? I use 57s on flat parts of my mile-long drive with crusher-run on the steep hills. And water is the enemy. All of the flat parts of my drive last a long time - with maybe a pothole or two. But the hills are tough. The steep roads are cut into the sides of hills and have a "sort-of" ditch on the uphill side - lined with some 2 inch stone for the most part. But even with crowning the drive - difficult at best - traffic presses down stone in strips and those strips wash out into small ditches with heavy rains. Right now all I can do is just run up and down with my box blade and/or ratchet-rake lightly to fill in the ditches until the next rain. I'm thinking of laying in some crushed asphalt on the steepest sections. But it's a never-ending battle.

Material is mine rock road base aka 3/4 minus or gravel with fines. Several sources around here that all tend to compact well. We crowned the filled and graded areas a bit and created good drainage along the uphill side. The topography is slightly down from north to south with a gentle side-taper away from the bank. Time will tell if we got it right.

/ Road Work #15  

Can you use crushed concrete? The powder would help set it up just like regular concrete and maybe prevent it from washing out as bad.

/ Road Work #16  
Can you use crushed concrete? The powder would help set it up just like regular concrete and maybe prevent it from washing out as bad.
Crushed concrete is as good as crusher run or roadbase. Recycled asphalt sucks though. Some clumps & packs together, but not all. Then you end up with potholes & material you cant re-work because of the parts that pack together.

/ Road Work
I spread one more load of rock for a total of about 90 tons along the ~750'. This includes some driveway aprons and about 25' up my tenant's drive. It seems to be consolidating well! Here's a series of before and after shots. IMG_0924.jpgIMG_0923.jpgIMG_0921.jpgIMG_1427 2.jpgIMG_1429 2.jpgIMG_1431 2.jpgIMG_1433.jpg