Robin Williams on HBO

/ Robin Williams on HBO #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
Speaking of "Just for Fun", did you watch the live HBO Robin Williams show Sunday night? That man is incredible - we were going to watch "a few minutes", but crawled to bed two hours later. His description of a Scotsman talking about the game of golf had us splitting our sides (i.e. LOAO). /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Robin Williams on HBO #2  
"LOAO" /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ Robin Williams on HBO #3  
I just caught the last half hour and was laughing out loud all by myself when he was talking about turning fifty and the various and sundry medical maladies the accompanied that. A classic example of "It wouldn't be funny if it wasn't true." /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Robin Williams on HBO #4  
I liked "most" of it but still managed to sit through the usual political crap without turning the channel. Missed the first 15 minutes though (nightly ritual of bedding down the horses) and the wife tells me that he nailed at least 8 people in that time ... so I may have to catch that part on the rerun.
It's incredible that he can still keep going at that speed and clarity for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Without a single "nanoo"

/ Robin Williams on HBO #5  
I "Just said No" to Robin Williams and HBO a long time ago, I feel better for it. J

/ Robin Williams on HBO #6  
Robin Williams is an incredible comedian, but I can't understand why he feels he has to use the F word 200 times in one routine. I though maybe he was just doing it for the NYC crowd, but my wife saw him live in Dallas and said he did the same thing. He is a great entertainer and doesn't need that. To me, that distracted from the overall performance, but I seem to be in the minority nowadays concerning the unnecessary use of foul language. That's not to say that I don't use colorful language occasionally, I just haven't found the need for F*** 3 times in one sentence./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ Robin Williams on HBO #7  
I'm with you, Bill. I'm not opposed to using a few expletives at certain times, but it seems a lot of entertainers (and movies) seem to just see how many times they can repeat such language when it detracts from, rather than adds to, the entertainment.

And I don't know whether this is appropriate, but it's an e-mail I just received this morning:

<font color=blue> TOP TEN TIMES IN HISTORY, WHEN USING THE "F" WORD WAS APPROPRIATE

10th - "Scattered @#$%ing showers, my [censored]!" - Noah, 4314 BC
9th - "How the @#$% did you work that out?" - Pythagorus, 126BC
8th - "You want WHAT on the @#$%ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo,1566
7th - "Where did all those @#$%ing Indians come from?" - Custer,1877
6th - "It does so @#$%ing look like her!" - Picasso, 1926
5th - "Where the @#$% are we?" - Amelia Earhart, 1937
4th - "Any @#$%ing idiot could understand that." - Einstein,1938
3rd - "What the @#$% was that?" - Mayor Of Hiroshima, 1945
2nd - "I need this parade like I need a @#$%ing hole in the head!" - JFK,1963

And drum roll... The number 1 most appropriate time for using the "F" word...

1st - "Aw c'mon. Who the @#$% is going to find out?"- Bill Clinton, 1997</font color=blue>

/ Robin Williams on HBO #8  
Hey Bird thats @#$96ing funny! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Robin Williams on HBO #9  
the only thing that bothers me (and the wife) more than the F* is the m*f*. So unnecessary. It's what keeps us from watching most of the black comedians ... it seems like far too many of them think humour and profanity are synonymous.
I have no problem using the words when I'm alone and whack my thumb with a 50 pound hammer .... but can't really think of any other appropriate time ... especially in mixed company.
Oh well, I guess we're just old "fuddy-duddies" who don't understand the first amendment, huh?

/ Robin Williams on HBO #10  
<font color=blue>"Oh well, I guess we're just old "fuddy-duddies" who don't understand the first amendment, huh?"</font color=blue>

Personally, I choose to believe that we have enough "class" to not need to use that kind of language. I always told my kids that if they couldn't express themselves in a decent and appropriate manner, then they should just keep their mouths shut, because most people don't appreciate hearing that stuff.

Like you, I have no problem with occassionally uttering a word or two. Heck, I was in the Navy, and you know how those sailors can cuss /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif! It's just not necessary as part of everday conversation.