Rock hammer for bolders?

/ Rock hammer for bolders? #1  

trueg50

Tractor
Kubota B2601
I've got a very rocky property with some large boulders forming a loose wall. I'm looking to move them back a ways (maybe 30 feet) but they are far too large for anything I can rent (KX057 size). I was toying with the idea of renting a mini-ex for a weekend with a rock hammer to break them up as well as break up some boulders that are partially exposed above the lawn, one in the drive way, and a few in various other places. Then maybe next year rent a machine for a week to do the rest of the project. Has anyone ever rented/used a hammer for this? any tips on the size of the machine/technique? I find a bit on using hammers for bedrock etc.. but not much for boulders/large rocks.

Last edited:
   / Rock hammer for bolders? #2  
Can’t answer your questions about rock hammers, but what I did with a pile of large rocks/boulders that i had piled up over the years was to bury them.

I had a large used excavator (Hitachi ex60-urg) with a manual thumb.

I wanted a pile of dirt instead of a pile of rocks, so i dug a big hole, used the excavator to carry/push/pull the rocks into the hole, then covered them with some of the dirt.

I mention this because maybe that is an option for your situation.

Whatever you do, rent equipment that is more capable than you think you will need……it’s always better to have more than less.

/ Rock hammer for bolders? #3  
What rock are you dealing with? In Vermont, I can only assume it is granite. A Pic would help. :)

/ Rock hammer for bolders? #4  
You'll probably need to stitch them boulders. Kinda like breaking a large block of ice, or bricks and cinder blocks. I used to have one for a skid steer. I have no doubt it will break rock. Just beat a line across the rock about 6" apart, then hammer on that line until it breaks. Best to break in half, then break the halves in half. Until you can manage them.

/ Rock hammer for bolders? #5  
Pictures of the areas and rocks of concern would be appreciated and will benefit you because contributors will provide comments/ solutions/ options more appropriate to your situation

/ Rock hammer for bolders? #6  
. . .as well as break up some boulders that are partially exposed above the lawn. . .

My recent experience breaking rocks has been low power--feathers and wedges. I drill 1/2" holes with an electric rotary hammer (not to be confused with its smaller cousin, the hammer-drill) about 6" apart along the desired fracture line, set up the feathers and wedges, and hit them with a 3 or 4 lb. hammer. It works fairly well with rocks above grade. It is easy to underestimate the buttressing effect of soil on the sides of partially exposed boulders. There needs be space for the rock to split into.

/ Rock hammer for bolders? #7  
They make expanding chemical compounds that will bust the biggest boulders...Google it...!
Good Luck...

/ Rock hammer for bolders? #8  
I have one large - size of VW bus - rock. Smack dab in the middle of one of my fields. Started figuring how many times it would need splitting - so I could handle it.

Easiest solution - work around it.

/ Rock hammer for bolders? #9  
I have one large - size of VW bus - rock. Smack dab in the middle of one of my fields.
I think I've seen it
ayer's rock.jpeg

/ Rock hammer for bolders? #10  
yeah if its sedimentary rocks its shouldn't be a problem but if its mafic rocks then they are hard to break you have to look at the grains of the rock and hammer it in the same orientation of the grain / foliations and chip away at it ... of course it depend what you consider ''larger boulders'' I would suggest a bigger excavator rather then a small one and even then its a slow progress ... and for the rocks burred in the ground good luck with these one if the foliation is horizontal you wont be able to rotate them so you wont make much progress on them ... I suggest a Hilti drill and a hydraulic rock splitter instead or simply rent a big excavator and move the rocks without breaking them if they are mafic rocks.

Last edited: