Rock Puller

/ Rock Puller
No there's no wheel adjustment - the threaded rod serves no purpose it's just something carried over from whatever scrap was salvaged to build it originally, this old rake has been sitting on a scrap pile one of our farms unloved for c.20+years now.

If you're going down the "pull type" rig/depth control path my post on a drag scraper I built on the following thread may prove of interest:-
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/266836-diy-home-built-scraper-pan.html

MBTRAC - checked out your link to the pull type drag scraper - yup I like it. Really has my nerve endings arcing here. You have no heart burn if I was to pattern my rock puller as a similar design ??? I really like the pull type concept. During the build process I may have to consider some type of interchangeable ground contacting tool where a guy could swap out the rock rake for a drag scraper to some type of angle blade. In other words mfg a multipurpose implement.

Thanks for the input
Mike

/ Rock Puller #12  
MBTRAC - checked out your link to the pull type drag scraper - yup I like it. Really has my nerve endings arcing here. You have no heart burn if I was to pattern my rock puller as a similar design ??? I really like the pull type concept. During the build process I may have to consider some type of interchangeable ground contacting tool where a guy could swap out the rock rake for a drag scraper to some type of angle blade. In other words mfg a multipurpose implement.

Thanks for the input
Mike

You're more than welcome to use/copy the design (it's just a multiitude of things/ideas I've used/seen on implements over the years farming).
Interesting your concept of "interchangeability" is what I originally wanted to incorporate into the carry frame but as I have ready access to other equipment on our farms dismissed the idea as (for my application) too much added compexity, though I can see how it would be real handy on small acreages.

You might want to consider "beefing" the unit up a size or so, to use use behind say an SUV, we use ours at times behind a quad bike for spreading driveway gravel & topdessing soil on the farm house lawn........we just replace the hyd ram with a ratcheting adjustable 3PL top link in these applications.

Good luck & I look forward to seeing photo's of how your projects progresses, in the meantime here's a photo better detailing the wheel/adjustment on our scraper-

Attachments

• TBN22022013c.jpg
    TBN22022013c.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
   / Rock Puller
MBTRAC -
Nice shot of the lift set-up, thanks good food for thought, since I really like pull type design the first thing that came to mind was a pan scraper and your pull drag scraper has some similiarties. Yes the perfect world says interchangable ground contact tools and I also like that concept - now if I can get it to fruitation well... we'll just have to work at it. One thing I may look at differently is solid steel wheels like old wagon steel running gear wheels.
In regards to pulling unit as previously mentioned I have a MF 1635 MFWD, so based upon bite size/depth and ground speed will dictate traction. I do see a lot of people take implements and sink them in deep and as fast as they can go, only then to lose power/traction and ultimately break something.
Again appreciate your time and photos, this will take me some time as I kind of a scrounger when it comes to this stuff, so I'll hit a could of farm auctions, scrap yards etc for part and pieces. I always heard half the fun is getting there.

Take care
Mike

/ Rock Puller #14  
Our place is on the top of a ridge line and we have lots of sandstone on the surface that can't be easily dislodged. Sometimes I think this place grows rocks. I bought a poorly designed (in my opinion) stump bucket to use for picking rocks. It was only $250 and looked like it would work for rock picking. It works great for rocks from basketball-size to some 4 or 5 times that large. Occasionally I find some in the pasture that are who knows how large under the surface. I use a breaker hammer and cut the tops off of them low enough that I can safely use the brush hog. It's slow work but I've greatly improved a pasture of 8-10 acres.
Stump Bucket 2.jpg
Stump Bucket.jpg

/ Rock Puller #15  
Mike that looks like a nice rock puller attachment.