Rolled it over

/ Rolled it over #1  

Tchamp

Silver Member
Tractor
Power trac PT-2422
Well yesterday was a first, my commercial mower quit on me up the driveway so i went to get my 2425 to move it back to the garage to work on. I have done this in the past and didnt think nothing of it. ( I forgot that i had taken the backhoe attachment off and didnt have the ballast on the rear ) i usually pick up the other machine and carry it back with no problem but this time as i picked the mower up i was on a slight grade and as i lifted, the mower spun around causing my unit to become unstable and as it did this i heard a pop then my unit just went over on the left side, as it did i side stepped off it and stepped away from it as it fell. I later found out that the pop was the upper swivel on the machine that lets it articulate from side to side and left to right. I am guessing the welds failed and then my unit went over. Was able to upright the unit by putting a chain on the pivot point on my loader arms and using my pickup i slowly righted it back to its upright position. It would not start or do anything then but the cause was from the wiring plug pulled away from the ignition switch, a quick fix. Now i am going to take the pivot arm to get it welded back together. ( the weld that was original was kinda sketchy in my my opinion. But it will not break there again when i am through. I am wondering if it had a weak weld intentionally. Oh well only thing that was really hurt was my pride, it was at the entrance of my driveway and by the time i went for my pickup there were three vehicles stopped to see if i need any help. Lol

/ Rolled it over #3  
I'm glad that you are unhurt!

Everything else can be fixed.

Any photos of the failed area for the lookyloos here?

All the best,

Peter

/ Rolled it over #4  
Yes, pictures please.
It would be difficult for the engineers to communicate a "bad" weld to the people doing the welding. They typically use a specific size soft pin or bolts to act as a fuse. Like on the cheaper rotary cutter or post hole digger drive shaft yokes. But again this is a blind statement.

/ Rolled it over #5  
MossRoad, who has a PT425, had previously mentioned in other threads, if my memory serves, that the center pivot is a weak point and he reinforced his before it let go.

Perhaps MossRoad can shed some light here.

/ Rolled it over
Yes, pictures please.
It would be difficult for the engineers to communicate a "bad" weld to the people doing the welding. They typically use a specific size soft pin or bolts to act as a fuse. Like on the cheaper rotary cutter or post hole digger drive shaft yokes. But again this is a blind statement.

For some reason i cant upload pics anymore my app just shuts down when i try

/ Rolled it over #7  
MossRoad, who has a PT425, had previously mentioned in other threads, if my memory serves, that the center pivot is a weak point and he reinforced his before it let go.

Perhaps MossRoad can shed some light here.
Not me. But I recall one breaking a few years back. Can’t remember who, now.

And I still have my beloved PT425. 😛

/ Rolled it over #8  
its these little hints that we are overloading the ability of our equipment

/ Rolled it over #9  
t would not start or do anything then but the cause was from the wiring plug pulled away from the ignition switch, a quick fix.
Ummm oftentimes the cylinders get hydrolocked with oil and starting the engine can result in catastrophic failure.
Always best to let it drain out overnight or to pull the plugs and run the starter.

Last edited: