Rookie Grapple Mistake

/ Rookie Grapple Mistake #1  

WRX

Tractor
Cub Cadet 8354SS
I recently got a new NS with a grapple. It came from the dealer with the grapple installed. I'm using the rear aux remote hydraulic lines to run this grapple, rather than a real third function setup. I haven't taken the grapple off since I got the tractor. I was moving a bunch of downed tree limbs the other day, and noticed that I was pulling back on the lever to open the grapple and pushing to close it, which is opposite of the way it moves. It seemed counter intuitive, so I figured I would just swap the connections to effectively reverse the way the lever had been working. Problem was, I couldn't reconnect the fittings at all. After a few minutes online, I realized my mistake. I had failed to bleed off the pressure on the lines in the grapple and the balls on the fittings would not compress and allow reconnection. I finally had to get a couple of wrenches and open a line, making a mess of spilled hydraulic fluid, to allow reconnection. All is well now, and I'll try not to make that rookie mistake again. I see online that there are tools that allow this pressure release, but they are pricey. If I took the grapple on and off a lot, it might be worth it, but for now, I'll just pay attention. Apparently this happens also if your grapple sits in the sun before you connect it.

/ Rookie Grapple Mistake #2  
You did it the hard way. Simply shut the tractor off. Wiggle the remote lever that you are hooked into a few times stop-to-stop. (Once back and forth probably does it)..anyway, just flop the lever back and forth a bit, voila! Pressure released/equalized. Hook-up as usual..then restart tractor.

/ Rookie Grapple Mistake #3  
You won't make that mistake again. :D

/ Rookie Grapple Mistake #4  
Mine has to have key on to release the pressure on 3rd function

/ Rookie Grapple Mistake #5  
I have a nylon rod - 6" long/1/2" in diameter. Put rod on the ball - gentle hit on rod with hammer. Wahlaa - pressure released. If you want to be really "up town" - cover the entire operation with a shop rag. Catch any oil spray.

/ Rookie Grapple Mistake #6  
I have a nylon rod - 6" long/1/2" in diameter. Put rod on the ball - gentle hit on rod with hammer. Wahlaa - pressure released. If you want to be really "up town" - cover the entire operation with a shop rag. Catch any oil spray.
Wrap a rag around it first.

/ Rookie Grapple Mistake #7  
Lessons well learned, I have a whole book full of them.:unsure:

/ Rookie Grapple Mistake #8  
I recently got a new NS with a grapple. It came from the dealer with the grapple installed. I'm using the rear aux remote hydraulic lines to run this grapple, rather than a real third function setup. I haven't taken the grapple off since I got the tractor. I was moving a bunch of downed tree limbs the other day, and noticed that I was pulling back on the lever to open the grapple and pushing to close it, which is opposite of the way it moves. It seemed counter intuitive, so I figured I would just swap the connections to effectively reverse the way the lever had been working. Problem was, I couldn't reconnect the fittings at all. After a few minutes online, I realized my mistake. I had failed to bleed off the pressure on the lines in the grapple and the balls on the fittings would not compress and allow reconnection. I finally had to get a couple of wrenches and open a line, making a mess of spilled hydraulic fluid, to allow reconnection. All is well now, and I'll try not to make that rookie mistake again. I see online that there are tools that allow this pressure release, but they are pricey. If I took the grapple on and off a lot, it might be worth it, but for now, I'll just pay attention. Apparently this happens also if your grapple sits in the sun before you connect it.
Always wear gloves and eye protection when working around hydraulics, high pressure water/oil any fluid can be dangerous if it pierces your skin, now that I've scared the poop outta ya have fun with the Grapple!

/ Rookie Grapple Mistake #9  
Another situation where pressure can keep you from making the hydraulic connections is when picking up the grapple after having a different attachment on the loader.
My grapple does not have any features to hold it up when I remove it from the loader, so I open it up halfway and set it on the tips of the grapple. When I come to mount it back on later, I have to remember to make the hydraulic connections before I rotate the grapple upright. Otherwise, the weight of the front of the grapple will hang against the cylinder pistons and build up pressure in one of the hoses.
If I can rotate the grapple on the loader such that the front of the grapple hangs freely, the hoses can then be connected easily. If I can't do that, I prop up the front of the grapple with a stick.
At any rate, I try to remember to make the hydraulic connections before I pick up the grapple.

Dave

/ Rookie Grapple Mistake #10  
good lesson. one also gets very familiar with this situation when running hydraulic equipment at different elevations.