root grapple question

/ root grapple question #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
Forgive my ignorance but I have a question for those of you runnning a root grapple on your DK series tractor. I understand the basics of a general grapple but what does the root grapple specifically do? Do you use this implement to dig up the roots of the samplings etc that you are trying to remove? My confusion is due to my understanding of the primary reccomended loader use as being to lift and not to dig. I'd read threads on here where people were damaging the lift cylindars trying to dig. How exactly are you using the root grapple? I've got 7 acres of old cutover and mixed volunteer pines that range from 10" to 20" that I want to thin and clear. Is this the right tool?
thanks

/ root grapple question #2  
I use my 68 hp Kubota M 6800 with a 48" root grapple (Markham) to clear land and uproot trees. However, there is a limit to how big. i can push over trees up to about 6" (depends also on species of tree, some easier than others). Then it is eash to pluck the root ball from the ground and carry off the debris. Now if you want to cut down the trees instead of uprooting, there is no limit. But a 10" pine is too big to uproot. You will need something other than a grapple. As far as clearing land, it works great for saplings, small trees, scrub, etc. Just takes a while. And for carry off the debris, it excells. Hope that helps.

/ root grapple question #3  
I've got 7 acres of old cutover and mixed volunteer pines that range from 10" to 20" that I want to thin and clear. Is this the right tool?
thanks

Is that 10"-20" tall?

/ root grapple question
Is that 10"-20" tall?

Sorry, no they are 10-20 feet. I realize I can't do anything but cut the larger stuff. Just curious how to use the grapple to remove the smaller stuff.

/ root grapple question #5  
Sorry, no they are 10-20 feet. I realize I can't do anything but cut the larger stuff. Just curious how to use the grapple to remove the smaller stuff.
What is the diameter at the stump? Sounds like 3-5" to me.

/ root grapple question
What is the diameter at the stump? Sounds like 3-5" to me.

Yep, that's about right. 6" max on the taller stuff that I'll cut with the chain saw.

/ root grapple question #7  
20 foot trees. with a diameter of less than 6 inches at the base, can be pulled over with a tractor the size of my L3400HST easily. Wait until 1 to 2 days after a good rain, so the the top soil is dried enough to not have mud on the surface, but the water has soaked into the root area. and have at least 2 good 20 foot grade 70 chains , wrap the chain about 4 to 6 foot high on the trunk. lower for spindly trees, higher for sturdy trees. and pull from the fixed drawbar (not the 3pt hitch) slowly and gently until they tip over. Remember you are about 40 foot away, and the tree is only 20 foot tall max. Do not underestimate. Again no jerking just slow steady pull and they will tip over and rip out. Lift the rootball a few times to shake off more dirt, and either chain them up close and pull them to the disposal area, or use your grapple if you have one, or what ever you want to do with them. My point is they will pull over easy, with no real stress to the tractor after a good rain. I have pulled a lot of small trees this way.

James K0UA

/ root grapple question #8  
Forgive my ignorance but I have a question for those of you runnning a root grapple on your DK series tractor. I understand the basics of a general grapple but what does the root grapple specifically do? Do you use this implement to dig up the roots of the samplings etc that you are trying to remove? My confusion is due to my understanding of the primary reccomended loader use as being to lift and not to dig. I'd read threads on here where people were damaging the lift cylindars trying to dig. How exactly are you using the root grapple? I've got 7 acres of old cutover and mixed volunteer pines that range from 10" to 20" that I want to thin and clear. Is this the right tool?
thanks

Possibly the right tool OR you could get what I got recently; a log grapple! It is more specific to using for logs and it works GREAT on my DK-40se/hst.
I've carried 40+' trees, without root ball across my cleared field with no problem to stack them for later use/disposal. I've moved HUGE rock/boulders too, albeit with my backhoe on the tractor to act as ballast. You would need to drop the stalk and then move the tree ball and log aftetr having it/them on the ground.
Maybe Island Tractor will chime in: he seems to know just about all anyone could want to know about grapples of all kinds.:thumbsup:
It is the Igland GR20 log grapple. I love this tool!!

/ root grapple question #9  
A couple of years ago, I cleared an old field of spruce and pines about that size. My technique was to push the tree over until some of the near roots popped up, then hook the root ball and drive forward, lifting slightly to just shove the whole tree out horizontally. The biggest one I did was probably a25' tall 14" in dia field-grown spruce.
As others have mentioned, the grapple excels at collecting and moving brushy debris. It will do a certain amount of digging and uprooting, but I find it more effective with anything over a couple of inches diameter, to use the weight and leverage of the tree to help with the process rather than try to dig up the stumps after the trees have been cut down.
The rake style lets dirt fall through. Digging with a bucket & toothbar can do almost the same job on uprooting/pushing over trees, but takes a much bigger divot.
Finally, if you push over trees, do it slowly and steadily and only on live ones. This will reduce the risk of damage to both you and your equipment.
BOB

/ root grapple question #10  
I guess you're getting the message. It's better to push the trees over and bring up the root ball BEFORE you break out the chainsaw. Get rid of the stump FIRST. I use methods described above, push with my grapple and/or pull with a really long chain. Droop another chain - as in just lay it on top of - the chain you're pulling with. Should a link happen to break you won't get whipped by the loose end. I have a BH attachment so if it happens to be mounted at the time - I'll dig roots with it prior to pushing.