Root rake video

/ Root rake video #2  
Great Movie!

That's a nice root grubbing device.

He will certainly be nominated for "Best Supporting Implement for Root Removal" at the Tractor Academy Awards this year! :D :D

/ Root rake video #3  
That thing is built to do the job, and it works great.

If it was my MF, i would put those rear wheels back to a normal trackwidth ASAP when doing this root removal work, mostly on the rear wheels only because the tractor pulls its front up when hooked to a stump. The halfshafts usually dont like that.

A local contractor has a Renault tractor, used for a very heavy seeder with a rotary harrow, and two steel packer rollers. when they put that 150 hp tractor on duals, the halfshafts broke every season. Now they use it on 800/65 R32 tires, that have the same footprint but stay closer to the tractor, reducing the bending moment on the halfshafts.
There is only 1 guy in the company allowed to go out with that combo, because the front end is very light: If they hang front weights, the rear axle has to absorb all the shocks (which now results in the front wheels coming off the ground when the rear wheels hit a bump) which also results in premature halfshaft failure :p

/ Root rake video #4  
Renze, That looks like a standard row crop configuration to me. Most of the compact tractor owners think that a 50" wheel base is standard. Row crop tractors commonly are set for wheel center to center at 80". Any tractor like the MF in the video that was built for rowcrop that won't handle 80" wheel stance without breaking isn't worth the match it would take to burn it.
With regard to your tale about the dual wheels breaking the coupling, that must have been a poor design or the coupling bolts were not properly tightened. Back several decades ago when I farmed (before I realized that you didnt make money farming, that you had to have money to farm) I had a 9000 Ford with duals that the inside tires were set at 80" centers and the outside had more than a foot between them. We carried anything and everything including 1200 lb of front weights and over 1000 lbs of rear weights on each wheel and never had any problem with the coupling. They were made for that type of work. Some of the larger tractors are designed with extra long axles to accomodate even wider stance on the duals to reach the center of the outside row or crops which would put them at 160" outside center to center and they regularly carry 6 and 8 row cultivators and dics hippers weighing thousands of pounds with no problem.
Narrow track is good for getting between trees when mowing or transporting, but wide track is much safer from tip over.

/ Root rake video #5  
That might be so on 80-200 hp row crop tractors, but personally i wouldnt like that featherweight fergie lifting its front wheels while on that trackwidth.
These fergies are built very light.. Well that's why the front end is light too, so maybe its just the feel...

That contractor had serious problems with that tractor on duals. The harrow/seeder/packer combo, i guess, weighs more than 4 ton sticking out way behind the tractor. A Renault may be less than the average tractor (especially in North America) but the seeder wasnt standard either...

It wasnt the duals couplers that broke, but the halfshafts, right after the outer bearing...
By the way, 1200 lb (600 kg) isnt all that much to a Ford 9000.... nowhere near the 4 ton (8000 lbs) that the seeder weighs.... Wheel ballast doesnt strain the halfshafts either, it only sits in the tire.

If the contractor took an 8 or 9 ton Genesis, 8020 or Magnum, instead of a 5800 kg Renault, he wouldnt break the halfshafts: But we'd have to rip the soil again after seeding to solve the compaction of the seeding tractor...

/ Root rake video #6  
Link no workie for me?

Wedge