Rope Chain Saw

/ Rope Chain Saw #2  
They DO work. They will cut a limb, but will also work your arms and shoulders pretty good. To get it up on the limb you'll be dragging out the ladder so you can initially position the chain. Unless you stand under the limb you're cutting it will cut to the side, not from the top. Then when the limb binds it up you'll be getting the ladder out to free up the chain.

After an hour or so I was able to cut a couple of 3-4 inch limbs, made 5 or 6 trips up the ladder, and my shoulders were screaming, so I went to Home Depot and rented a pole Stihl pole saw. I purchased my own pole saw, and the rope saw has been hanging on it's hook undisturbed for the last 10 years.

Ken

/ Rope Chain Saw #3  
Over on the professional arborist site this is regarded as a highly effective tool to separate money from the unknowing.
It's difficult to use and potentially dangerous.
google rope chainsaw site:arboristsite.com .
search is your friend

/ Rope Chain Saw #4  
I used one half a dozen times on branches hanging ever the house and no way to get a ladder up to it. The one I have I would use it again if I couldn't get a chain saw to the branch somewhat safetly. I cut a couple 3" hickory branches and a few popular branches. Mine has a beanbag hooked to one rope to throw up and over and then it is a seesaw job. It takes awhile, but it works. I wouldn't use it for cutting anything bigger than 3" in diameter. I would rather cut the tree down.

/ Rope Chain Saw
Thanks for the answers.

/ Rope Chain Saw #6  
Without knowing your exact needs, I would suggest looking at something like this:

Tree Pruner

or this:

1.5 HP Electric Pole Saw

I have a pole saw that I purchased at HF several years back. It extends to 12ft. I seldom use it but it has worked without fail each time that I have. They make gas powered ones but $$$ more than electric.

/ Rope Chain Saw #7  
I had to laugh out loud reading the comments on the Northern Tool site you linked to. One commenter said he cut off 24" limb, Hmmm, yeah, right.

/ Rope Chain Saw #8  
I have used it successfully a few times, and it is truly the last resort. The last time I used it was three years ago, and the soreness is almost gone. I joke, but only a little. I worked myself hard, and I would have just gave up if not for the fact there is a partially cut limb overhead. A buddy and me took turns, and then we decided he'd take one rope, and I'd take the other, and we'd saw together. We eventually got it done. It will most definitely work, but as I said...the last resort.

I never went up a ladder to mess with the chain. If I could have gotten to the chain, I would have taken a normal chainsaw to the limb.

/ Rope Chain Saw #9  
I have the HF model. The chain eventually broke, but it did the job on a couple of branches that I could not have cut any other way. The downside is that to get the best angle on the branch, you need to stand under it. If you stand to the side, it pinches the chain as it sags. I tried to replace the chain with an old chainsaw chain and I found the chain to be too aggressive for my arm strength.

/ Rope Chain Saw #10  
I've used one of these many times on limbs that are unreachable otherwise, or where I was away from home and my collection of saws, chainsaws and ladders. They work your shoulders indeed, but do a fine job on limbs of up to 3 inches diameter. You can drop the limb on yourself, but that's not an issue if you are alert. You can do the same thing with a power tool or chainsaw. I see them as a convenient alternative in situations where you can't use more conventional approaches.