Rope cinch

/ Rope cinch #21  
I also say prusik knot for the win. You can get one already set up on a rope 30' for $40 if you don't want to gather the materials separately.

/ Rope cinch #22  
They make mechanical locking devices that slide upwards on the rope but are always locked in the downwards direction, without waiting for weight on them. You have to manually operate them to move to a lower position. When I was a rock climber long ago we called them "Jumars" but they're called ascenders now.

iu

A prussik will work but you have to make sure the knot is tight when you reposition it. They tend to loosen if you're not putting weight on them. If it gets too loose it may not grab quickly when you fall.
Jumars/crolls/micro-tractions and other assorted ascenders are great, but really just for one direction of travel. The second you disengage the jumar to move it down the rope, you are no longer safe. If you were to slip and let go of the lever that cams to the rope, it will catch (assuming you did not lock it in the open position), however they are not designed to arrest a fall of that nature and can shear the sheath right off the rope when it catches if the fall is hard enough. If you are scooting up and down the rope on a roof, you need something that will work for omnidirectional travel. This is where the prusik shines, but as you note, dressing the knot consistently is indeed important.

/ Rope cinch #23  
Might be so
I climbed the roof today using hand over method, did it 3 times, sat for a few at the peak, tried it with the vest on once using the clincher that comes as part of the kit and it didn’t work for me as in I was very uncomfortable
I ordered these items this morning, I’ve since learned there are manual and automatic tension release mechanisms.
The mechanism with the original kit I purchased first mentioned in this thread is automatic, this belt and tensioners I show here are manual positive locking at all times until I do the release, I don’t plan to release anything unless I’m on my ass on the cushion.
I will feel much more comfortable using this belt in the front and these manual tensioners.
I’m working on getting a couple of quotes in the next few days, the house is 1800 sq ft and the garage is the same.
I’ve priced materials ( 26 gauge ) at roughly 10,000
Labor has been quoted at 15-18000 dollars
Every contractor so far has said 1day job for a crew of 3-4 men.
Every contractor has shown up in a 2023 4 wd truck.
Insane what they are getting away with.
I’m lucky to get 5000 to paint a vehicle which takes literally weeks of prep work.
Evidently I need to trade trades.
I’m gonna give it my best to do this myself.
Wish me luck
It seems to me, as an ex-tree climber and retired carpenter kinda guy, that you'd be better off simply renting enough scaffolding to work the job. You'll save enough on the paid labor, to pay for the rental. With no need to fear falling off ladders and suchlike, on a job that's been quoted for thousands of dollars worth of hiring companies..
JMHO, but keep us in the loop whichever way you go...

Last edited: