ROPS and my apple trees

/ ROPS and my apple trees #11  
Second to KennyG… trim the trees and mulch around them to eliminate the problem

/ ROPS and my apple trees #12  
How many trees? How close together?

If you mean a lot of them, consider a cheap rider for that area to mow closer. If only a few, do the mulch circle thing.

I only have about 15, so I do that area with a rider in a few minutes.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #13  
Do what you want. You know what the roll over danger is.
You’ve probably heard all the dangers of not having ROPS.
The safety police here don’t realize there’s also dangers with having ROPS:
A branch can pin you against the ROPS and cause injury.
When backing up the ROPS can cock back a branch that whips/springs when it clears the ROPS and takes your head off.
The ROPS can hit a branch and turn over the tractor.
The ROPS can break off branches causing them to fall and crack your skull. (Perhaps safety police want you to wear hard helmet, safety shield armor when mowing?)

Also a bx2380 is just a little bit bigger than most riding mowers or ATV’s that don’t come with ROPS. It’s operators platform is probably less than a foot off the ground and can easily be exited in a side rollover.

If OP uses a weed wacker, isn’t he risking back injury...gasp!..somebody call the safety police!
...I like the suggestion to consider a cheap mower that doesn’t have ROPS...because they’re not needed.
The point I’m trying to make is there are trade offs and only you know your risks and risk tolerances.

Last edited:
   / ROPS and my apple trees #14  
I'd either leave the ROPS as is .....be it up or lowered... or......take it completely off.....after considering the other options mentioned above.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #15  
As far as trimming branches, remember you'd have to go close to 7 foot above ground. That's OK for shade, decorative and ornamentals, but for fruit, I like mine close to the ground for the easier pickin's.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #16  
If you trade BX good chance dealer give you less for ROPS being shorter.
Actually, no dealer will take a modded tractor ROPS on trade. It's a liability issue. If you absolutely have to, remove it but NEVER modify it. That will make the unit unmarketable. Think I'd get a rear mount mower and be done with it.... Or a weed wacker.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #17  
Maybe a couple of zips around each tree with a riding lawnmower, be helpful to know how many trees you have to deal with.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #18  
I had a 755 John Deere I got with my 5 acres and the Rops was cut down to about 4",
I never gave it ant thought when using it.
I also had an older Scag turf tiger that never has any.
I think safety gets carried away, even the police use safety as a way to create income.
The American people are themselves foolish and think the government is their savior and will protect them with their rules and regulations.
I like to think for myself and make my own decisions if I would like rops or airbags or use a ladder ect., I would purchase as an option.
The saying save a life is used loosely as only one person can save anybody which is Jesus Christ the rest at the best can only prolong it for a short time.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #19  
Your 240 had no ROPS and probably no seat belt and you survived. Now, talk of modifying the ROPS is met with a fair amount of horror. Times have changed.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #20  
Also a bx2380 is just a little bit bigger than most riding mowers or ATV’s that don’t come with ROPS. It’s operators platform is probably less than a foot off the ground and can easily be exited in a side rollover.
Have you ever been in a rollover? I have been in 2 on riding mowers (a Bolens 1050 and a Cub Cadet LT1050). The Bolens rolled over 90n degrees and stopped and the Cub Cadet was on a steep slope and I was able to push it off of me as it rolled over.
Lets look at weights:
Cub Cadet LT1050: 548# - TractorData.com Cub Cadet LT1050 tractor information
Bolens 1050: 645# - TractorData.com Bolens 1050 tractor information
2016 Artic Cat 500 4 wheeler: 660# - Arctic Cat 500 Technical Specifications
Kubota BX2380: 1443# - TractorData.com Kubota BX2380 tractor dimensions information
Which one is more than double the weight of the others? The one with the ROPS.
Don't trust being able to jump, a rollover happens too fast and there are WAY too many things to get snagged on while exiting.

The point I’m trying to make is there are trade offs and only you know your risks and risk tolerances.
There are, but its important to look at all the facts when deciding, not just the ones that reinforce your opinion.

Aaron Z